Eyes

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
We've noticed that Nova closes this eye all the time. Constantly, really. She'll just be chilling and will close it but keep the other one open. And after a minute or two, she'll open the other one. Any ideas as to why.?

First photo is her closed eye, the close up of her right eye is the one that's open normally and the other one is the one she closes all the time, but open. Do they look okay.?

Attachments

• 20230102_183829.jpg
    20230102_183829.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 99
  • 20230102_183841.jpg
    20230102_183841.jpg
    184.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230102_183846.jpg
    20230102_183846.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 48

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We've noticed that Nova closes this eye all the time. Constantly, really. She'll just be chilling and will close it but keep the other one open. And after a minute or two, she'll open the other one. Any ideas as to why.?

First photo is her closed eye, the close up of her right eye is the one that's open normally and the other one is the one she closes all the time, but open. Do they look okay.?
They look fine- no discharge - your basking bulb is a solid clear bright white basking bulb?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
What brand uvb are you using? Zen was doing that back when i had the ZooMed. He stopped within a few days of switching to the Arcadia's

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
That might be the one causing issue- are you using a back up uvb long tube fixture?
No, we haven't been able to get one yet. With the fixture, it's just a tad expensive right now-- there's a lot going on around here.

She uses a 100watt powersun uvb and 75watt flukers basking bulb but she's been doing it since the day we got her. Is an eye issue a possibility.? Like, maybe a vision problem.?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Most likely it's the light. Maybe tilt it so she isn't looking directly at the bulb or maybe reposition it a bit. If the bulb is in a wire cage maybe put it in a dome, if you do put it in a dome make sure it's big enough to not overheat the bulb. I blew a few of them back when i used those before i realized the dome was to small and was overheating them.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No, we haven't been able to get one yet. With the fixture, it's just a tad expensive right now-- there's a lot going on around here.

She uses a 100watt powersun uvb and 75watt flukers basking bulb but she's been doing it since the day we got her. Is an eye issue a possibility.? Like, maybe a vision problem.?
Ok so try what Xp29 posted w/ the bulb-- you need to get the long tube fixture as soon as you can - I was going to suggest shutting the PowerSun off leave just the Flukers on and see what the eye does- but you really need that long tube fixture -- these MVB's do not emit enough UVB and will need to be replaced in 6 months of install I recommend 5- and your going to need to increase the wattage of the Flukers bulb as well I am thinking that is where the digital probe thermometers come in - try and get these bulbs -- Flukers seem to be pretty good -- I am using them now - you can get them ordered off of Pet Mountain.com - you really need the UVB tho -

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Most likely it's the light. Maybe tilt it so she isn't looking directly at the bulb or maybe reposition it a bit. If the bulb is in a wire cage maybe put it in a dome, if you do put it in a dome make sure it's big enough to not overheat the bulb. I blew a few of them back when i used those before i realized the dome was to small and was overheating them.
Ok so try what Xp29 posted w/ the bulb-- you need to get the long tube fixture as soon as you can - I was going to suggest shutting the PowerSun off leave just the Flukers on and see what the eye does- but you really need that long tube fixture -- these MVB's do not emit enough UVB and will need to be replaced in 6 months of install I recommend 5- and your going to need to increase the wattage of the Flukers bulb as well I am thinking that is where the digital probe thermometers come in - try and get these bulbs -- Flukers seem to be pretty good -- I am using them now - you can get them ordered off of Pet Mountain.com - you really need the UVB tho -
If we increase the wattage of the basking (with the powersun) it gets way too hot. Without the powersun, it doesn't get hot enough. The powersun is in one of those big domes for the big bulbs and it sits on the mesh lid. We have some of those uvb checker cards and check it once a week and it lights up immediately, indicating the uvb rays are good.

It doesn't seem like something that bothers her, she doesn't pull away or anything if I try to touch that part of her face or pet her right above her eye or anything. It looks like she's taking a nap from one angle. She's otherwise okay with basking and eating amd pooping. (Her eating has slowed down a bit, though)

The only other thing is the last few days, she'll scratch and pace and scratch to get out, climbing up our arms whenever we reach for her but as soon as we have her out, she's trying to get right back in her tank and her back is dark often, despite basking normally. But she otherwise looks okay, I suppose.

Attachments

• 20230102_120328~2.jpg
    20230102_120328~2.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 45
  • 20221226_214518.jpg
    20221226_214518.jpg
    166.2 KB · Views: 38

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
If we increase the wattage of the basking (with the powersun) it gets way too hot. Without the powersun, it doesn't get hot enough. The powersun is in one of those big domes for the big bulbs and it sits on the mesh lid. We have some of those uvb checker cards and check it once a week and it lights up immediately, indicating the uvb rays are good.

It doesn't seem like something that bothers her, she doesn't pull away or anything if I try to touch that part of her face or pet her right above her eye or anything. It looks like she's taking a nap from one angle. She's otherwise okay with basking and eating amd pooping. (Her eating has slowed down a bit, though)

The only other thing is the last few days, she'll scratch and pace and scratch to get out, climbing up our arms whenever we reach for her but as soon as we have her out, she's trying to get right back in her tank and her back is dark often, despite basking normally. But she otherwise looks okay, I suppose.
The checker cards for UVB are inaccurate - the only way to get a good reading and correct one is w/ a solar meter which are around $250 and up - the screen is blocking 30% of the UVB rays - please unobstruct it -- w/ those I would say to get a stand from Pet Smart or Petco Zoo Med Reptile Lamp Stand | reptile Light Fixtures | PetSmart
this will allow you to adjust the bulb for heat- the only thing is w/ the stand the higher the bulb is to get correct temps the less UVB hes going to get -- that is why the long tube fixture for UVB is imperative - MVB's are good for heat but not so much UVB--

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom