Eye problem possible scar with video* Update* Eye bulging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zero138

Hatchling Member
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmZ6twV9G58

This is my new discount dragon due to missing toes. His eye seems to be messed up but it looks like scar tissue to me... I'm worried to put it in with another dragon if it's infected. He's missing 5 toes altogether and I was told one of the tank mates was very aggressive so the eye may be infection or damage but not sure. What's this look like to you?

When he bulges his eyes for basking red stuff comes out like the inner eyelid. is this because his eyelid was bitten off? anyone ele have this problem?
I startled him cause it scared me and his eye went back in no porblem this just scared me Ive seen eye bulging but never have i seen red tissue when they do it. Ill try to post a vid if he does it again, I noticed his foot is shedding so maybe hes preparing a whole new shed.

greathouseFarm

Juvie Member
It's hard to tell from the video maybe just a good close up picture. Does it look flakey at all like it might be shedding skin coming loose? Or does it look inflamed, swollen or pussy? Those would be signs of infection. If you do see any of those I would go ahead and apply some antibiotic oinment. Neopsporin or Basitracin. Just make sure it does not say "plus pain relief" and the oil based kind works best. It certainly can't hurt and if it is an infection it should clear it up. If it looks like flakey skin I would just leave it alone. Do update us on the progress!

Zero138

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'll add pics today! And no it just looks like he got his eye bit. No real swelling well I mean obviously the eye looks swollen compared to the other eye but not compared to what I've seen... It's a clear clean eye that just looks weird. I'm hoping it's nothing yo worry about but I'll post pis!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The eyelids were obviously bitten off....but it looks as if it healed nicely. I actually had a baby last year that the same thing happened to, and it healed perfectly. Yours looks healed....I wouldn't put it with the other dragon...it has already been picked on. And for antibiotic ointments, only one that is specifically for the eyes, if at all....because many are for external use only and will damage the eye. He looks as if this happened a while ago and is perfectly healed.

Zero138

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
K well his dragon is bigger than Dexter and I only have a 5.5 gallon tank we use for feeding so until I get the 38 gallon we wanna get in gonna have to put them together. Dexter( my current dragon ) and this dragon would be sharing a 50 until then. Lots of room lots of hides lots of basking spots! Thanks so much I was worried but that's what I was thinking. It's missing the top and bottom crest around the eye so I doubted it was infection. I'll post up close pics later to help you confirm that for sure! Thanks a bunch I was so worried!

greathouseFarm

Juvie Member
Sorry I could not see very well in the video so I was just trying to describe some possibles. If it looks completely healed to you, than I would not treat it. But I can assure you that Triple antibiotic ointment is completely safe for human and beardies eyes. If you notice when he bulges his eyes out there is anything that is not healed I would watch it closely for signs of infection.

If the two little guys are getting along fine and this attack was from before you got him - I would watch them closely until you get the other tank. A 50g is big and if either one of them is hiding they won't be getting their needed UV rays. You might want to remove any hiding places. The guy in the video looks fairly young and hiding and not basking would be damaging to his overall health.

I hope that helps...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The triple antibiotic ointment in my meds. cabinet states" Warning, do not use in eyes" There may be a specific brand that can be used, but evidently not just any kind.

greathouseFarm

Juvie Member
If it has any kind of added pain reliever than it is not safe. (label will say it has anesthetic)

Just plain old Neosporin Ointment is safe but I am sure your right about the label warning. There are always label warnings required for products like these. In any case it was my understanding that we were talking about the outside of the eye.

Maybe Tracie can chime in here just to be sure. Although I have used it inside my own eye on the advice of my doctor. I do use it regularly for any scratch on a beardie baby and did use it around one of my older girls eye. I don't condone disregarding manufactures instructions but in this case I speak from years of experience.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Well, that's interesting to know.....and yes, he did mention it was the little eyelid, but anything put on there would easily get in to the eye. I wonder why the warning is on the tube if it's safe though, and if you Google triple a.b. ointment, it will also say not to use it in the eye. At any rate, the little dragon looks good and a vet visit is always a precaution if in doubt, as long as you have a truly knowledgeable one.

Zero138

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I just spoke with the breeder and she assured me yes it was bitten an her boyfriend who delivered it had failed to mention that. No worries here they said he is happy healthy and does great with other dragons. We still have them separated. The dragons poo stunk but that might be cause it was directly under the heat light. Also his poo had crystalizing in it it looks like they were feeding wax worms and the heads didn't digest. Is that normal for a dragon eating wax worms? I know they raise wax worms there so it's pretty likely that he was eating them. Plus he's a month older an he's twice the size I'd assume he's eaten a lot to plump up... Is this normal? The wet part and the white part were normal just the brown part was a pile rather than a log like Dexter normally leaves.

greathouseFarm

Juvie Member
If his stool is watery and loose and stinks to high heaven! it is most likely a coccidia bloom. (parasite) I would get him to the vet asap. Although you could treat him with Panacur yourself - I personally would not as he is young and been through so much. What you can do in the meantime is get some soy yogurt and give him a spoonful. Trader Joes has it. That will help build up his gut fauna and help him fight it off. Or if you happen to have any probiotic - azidophilz + or Benebac on hand same idea.

As far as the wax worms - they are fine as treats but I hope they were not feeding them daily as a staple. They are like us eating a greesy cheeseburger everyday!

It sounds like overall he is fine just might have had a bit of a parasite bloom from the move and stress. If the poop smells so bad you literally can't stand it than you know that's what it is. The soy yogurt will help either way. Just make sure it's non dairy. Good luck!

Zero138

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Ya I think it's cause it was directly under the baskin spot that it smelled so bad it was dry by the time o got to it so it was nice and baked lol. I'll do the soy yogurt thing! Thanks everyone!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Are you using sterile saline solution right now in the eye? That could help with some of the irritaton.
The neosporin or polysporin "can" be used in the eye, on the lid carefully. You really have to be careful. I wouldn't use it directly on the eye itself, but on the eye lid would help.
You can also use a warm, moist herbal tea bag such as chamomile, at night, when he is getting ready to go to sleep. That can help take some of the swelling down also. Make sure that you don't have the tea bag too hot, & that it is just "warm" to the touch. Place it over his eye & put a small towel over the tea bag to help hold in some of the heat for him.
There is also an eye ointment called Terramycin, that may be useful also.

Watch your dragons closely & monitor them for dominance issues.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Zero138

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Just to clarify the breeder said this happened when he was littler and it's completely healed. The ointment isn't nessacerry. But I thank you all for your concern this forum is like family your all so caring. This thread can b closed now! You've all been awese and thanks for everything!!!!
Merry x mas to all!
Watch out for robot Santa!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nohupics
Top Bottom