Eye Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!
I have an 18 month old hypo female. I have had her for about 9 months. About 1 month after we got her from a breeder, she went through a head peel. After, she wouldn't open her left eye. We figured it was a shedding issue, so we went to the vet and they couldn't find anything wrong. They stained it and flushed it and everything looked normal. We were put on drops and told to come back in a week.
Long story short, we went to 3 different vets who could find no reason for her issues. We changed all the bulbs to be sure it wasn't a UV issue. She has no colored lights. She can open her eye, she just won't. I also don't believe she sees well out of that eye even if it is open.

She is happy, eats everything, just laid 21 eggs and is totally normal except for this eye issue. We have a male dragon, but they are not housed together. He has no eye issues.

I am just wondering if anyone here has any idea about what might be going on? I truly feel there is some sort of shed that went wrong, but I don't know.

This is a picture before she started holding it closed. It looks a bit droopy to me, but both of her eyes do. I'm stumped. I don't mind if she only has 1 good eye, but I don't want to miss something that could help.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

It's possible its a genetic defect. Do you mind telling us who you get your dragon from?

Can you post a picture of her closing the eye?

It's good that it doesn't seem to be bothering her.

Can you go over your lighting setup with us. A picture of it would be nice. Also your supplement schedule and her daily diet.

-Brandon

rnadler103

Original Poster
Claudiusx":2el8m5bt said:
Hi there,

It's possible its a genetic defect. Do you mind telling us who you get your dragon from?

Can you post a picture of her closing the eye?

It's good that it doesn't seem to be bothering her.

Can you go over your lighting setup with us. A picture of it would be nice. Also your supplement schedule and her daily diet.

-Brandon

Sure- She is from LT Reptiles in Michigan. I use a 100 watt basking bulb and a reptisun 10.o uvb light that goes across the tank. She is in a 50 gallon. I have a temp and humidity gauge in her tank which says things are where they should be. I will try to get a picture of the setup.

The only difference I have seen is that she sometimes scratches the side of her face against something like she does during a peel, but nothing happens.

She eats (not all at once) Raspberries, collard greens, sweet potato, zucchini squash, kale and crickets dusted in repashy. She also gets dubai roaches. She is a GREAT eater :)

She is bathed often, loves to soak.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
The UVB going across the tank what is the brand and bulb? Is it a T 8 or a T 5 ? And the basking distance from the decor piece is how far?
Karrie

rnadler103

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2djelipj said:
The UVB going across the tank what is the brand and bulb? Is it a T 8 or a T 5 ? And the basking distance from the decor piece is how far?
Karrie

It's a 24 inch reptisun t8 10.0 UVB. She is about 8 inches from the light.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so lighting is out-- your not using any colored bulbs are you? What about substrate - any loose substrate?
Karrie

rnadler103

Original Poster
KarrieRee":29a0hecf said:
Ok so lighting is out-- your not using any colored bulbs are you? What about substrate - any loose substrate?
Karrie

No colored bulbs. Nothing at night as our house doesn't get too cold. She has no substrate at all, just newspaper. She was in dirt digging a few weeks ago when she laid her eggs, but this has been happening for months- well before being gravid. After she laid the eggs, I made sure to bathe her and clean her face off.

I have tried everything- at a total loss. It just might be a genetic issue I suppose.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The important thing is that it doesn't seem to be bothering her.

Does she ever drink water?
And just so i'm clear, her eye is always shut, just coming open on rare occasions?

-Brandon

rnadler103

Original Poster
Claudiusx":ixevzgbe said:
The important thing is that it doesn't seem to be bothering her.

Does she ever drink water?
And just so i'm clear, her eye is always shut, just coming open on rare occasions?

-Brandon

She does drink water occasionally. It's always in her tank. Her eye is always closed. She will open it when startled, but then it slowly closes.
It doesn't bother her at all. I just have to make sure she sees when I put crickets or food in for her.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Have you tried rinsing her eye out w/ saline? Was she doing this before the dig box?
Karrie

rnadler103

Original Poster
KarrieRee":15veqi4x said:
Have you tried rinsing her eye out w/ saline? Was she doing this before the dig box?
Karrie

We have. She's been to the vet 3 times (2 different vets) and they have flushed and stained and found nothing. 1 vet thought he might see a piece of shed under her lid, but couldn't tell for sure. She's been on 3 different drops and now saline.

She has been like this for months way before she laid her eggs. Other than an occasional rubbing or trying to scratch her face, she doesn't seem bothered at all. I just thought I would see if anyone here had any ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom