Eye and nostril problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lurhstaap

Juvie Member
I'm very glad to hear that! Chamomile tea is always at the top of my list of things to get when I'm ill with anything, so I was sure it would be helpful. :) You might even try giving him a bath in warm chamomile tea so he can absorb some of it systemically, or give him some in a dropper. Taking it internally may help with any internal infections that might be contributing. At very least it should help him feel a little better. Good luck, and keep us posted!

Mimbulus

Original Poster
So we are seeing steady improvement. After a week without the UVB light on, washing with sterile saline, fusidic acid, baths and camomile tea bag over his eyes for 30 mins a day (while having a cuddle) we are seeing improvement. Thes epics were taken after the evening sterile saline wash - so "at his best" so to speak but he is more lively although still off his food. We did feed him 3 worms today, but not eating crickets even when offered. So not out of the woods - but we seem to be getting there.

PB280246.jpg

PB280248.jpg

Mim

Lurhstaap

Juvie Member
Yay! That's good to know! I'm glad you've found a combination of treatments that work for him! He looks so, so much better. :) Recovery can be slow for them, I've read, but they can go a long time with little or no food, and the fact that he's visibly improving is a very good sign. Soon enough he'll begin to get his appetite back.

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
That's great news! I'm glad he's improving!!! And he's so cute too :)
Like Lurhs said, they can go for quite a while without eating their normal amount of food so he should be fine. :) If you're still worried though, you could try offering baby food. Stage 1 additive-free squash baby food was the only thing I could get my 4year old to eat during the two weeks or so that his eyes were healing (I know he would have been fine if he didn't eat, but I'm a worrier and I felt better knowing he had a few mL of squash in his tummy every day :)).

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is awesome you are seeing improvements now! He looks better. :D
Is he eating pretty well or are you still using baby food too? You have done a wonderful job getting him back to health. He looks much happier, also!

Keep us posted on him.
Tracie

Mimbulus

Original Poster
Thought i'd give an update on Charlie. While his eye problem seemed to be much better with using saline, Camomile and bee pollen with camomile, Charlie was off his food, losing weight and as soon as we stopped "treating", his eye condition returned within a day or so.

So we sought out a vet that had specific expertise in Reptiles. She has put him onto a course of i.p antibiotic (we inject him under his skin once every three days for a course of 5 injections).

Now, we are seeing his appetite return and while we are still washing his eyes, they are requiring less cleaning. He is also significantly more active than before.

I suspect that the cleaning etc was helping in that it was keeping him going, but his infection was quite deep seated and needed the direct intervention the injected antibiotic was able to give. We have one more injection to go. I guess we will see how he fairs once off the antibiotic.

Fingers crossed.

Mim.

Lurhstaap

Juvie Member
I suspect you are probably right. Given as a surface treatment those things can only help with the surface, and it's nearly impossible to give enough chamomile, for example, systemically, to a beardie. :p They just aren't tea-drinkers and it's very difficult to give chamomile systemically any other way. It's very good to hear that the injections are helping, though! Just to be on the safe side, in case the injections mess up Charlie's gut flora, you may want to start him on Benebac. My reptile vet has told me that any time antibiotics or dewormers are given to a dragon, one should also give Benebac or Acidophilz just to be safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
s4mclain
Top Bottom