Extra Lighting in Viv?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
Right now I have a 24" Reptisun 10.0 and a 75 watt basking light in Bert's viv. We have a webcam set up so we (and everyone else) can watch him live while we're at work and such. Unfortunately, the lighting isn't great for streaming video and I was wondering if it is safe/advisable to put additional lighting in the viv just for the sake of brightening it up. Not to provide UVB or heat. I wish I had a better pic of the full viv, but hopefully this will help me explain what I'm thinking:

P1020453.JPG

You can't really see it, but at the top of the viv, there is actually about a 4" high strip of wood above the sliding doors. What I'm thinking of doing is attaching a fixture to the inside of that, not the ceiling, so the light would shine out and down from the front, inside top of the viv. I was thinking of using an aquarium bulb that's meant for showing off colors. Obviously, this is just an idea and I don't want to do anything that could harm Bert, but if anyone has any advice or experience with specific bulbs, I would love to hear it!

foolsgold

Hatchling Member
Think of the lumens they get outside from the sun. I am actually going to be adding another fixture to my tank just for light.

carlisv

Hatchling Member
Fluorescent fixtures add a lot of light with very little heat, so that's definitely a plus. Try to find a bulb that says the color temperature is 6500K - it's usually on the box somewhere. They're sometimes described as "daylight" bulbs. That particular brightness mimics mid-day sun and might have the added benefit of increasing your beardie's appetite. If you can find one that is 5000K or over, that's better than nothing to help light the other end of the viv. If the color temperature is less than that, it may make your beardie think it's evening and decrease their appetite, so may not be a good idea.

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
carlisv, thank you so much for answering my question! I was planning to go shopping for a fixture and bulb today and I was still pretty clueless about what to look for specifically. Perfect timing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom