extra extra extra small pinky mouse ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
I am now soooo frustrated with MJ. She hasn't been eating normal.. I thought it was due to relocation stress.. (could still be.. but it's been 2 months !) I feel like she's eating less and less... I've tried different things.. like supers / mealies / wax worms.. she'd eat one or two then stop. She's still eating her veggies.. but never finishes her salad. I just ordered some PHoenix worms.. Silkies and butterworms... and see which one she likes best so I can use as her staple.. the things is it probably won't be here until next week due to the holiday.

She's also losing weight... so I was thinking on giving her JUST ONE... really extra small newborn pinkie... I mean not even half hte size of my pinky finger. What do you think ? I know it's not nutritious (trust me, I've read all about it)... however, I just want her to get enough protein. Let me know asap. Trust me I want nothing but the best for my baby.. I'm just really stressed out right now and if you think an extra small pinky is ok for a ONE TIME THING only... I'll go to the petstore tomorrow to get one.

She's only 15 inches long and weighs 180 grams....

Ker6176

i wouldnt reccommend it due to bones.

i had that problem. they have a gel that you can force feed for anorexic dragons.

is she pooping? she may be impacted. i had a dragon that got ahold of a cricket that was too big for her and the leg of the cricket ripped her up pretty bad. she was on baby food with a heavy calcium regiment for a month before she got better. she is now huge and heathy. i did all kinds of baby food veges with a baby eye dropper. you can also do some of the meat ones but avoid the rice and such. it can cause more problems. the baby food is easy to feed. give baths and let ur little one work up the hunger. they make us worry but god we do anythig for them. with the baby food. try getting her to lick it up. if she wont then you can gently open her mouth with your nail then put it along her teeth. she will end up eatting. put calcium in it. keep her uvb lights on her and just keep ffeeding her. good luck!

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Ker6176":85b57 said:
i wouldnt reccommend it due to bones.

i had that problem. they have a gel that you can force feed for anorexic dragons.

is she pooping? she may be impacted. i had a dragon that got ahold of a cricket that was too big for her and the leg of the cricket ripped her up pretty bad. she was on baby food with a heavy calcium regiment for a month before she got better. she is now huge and heathy. i did all kinds of baby food veges with a baby eye dropper. you can also do some of the meat ones but avoid the rice and such. it can cause more problems. the baby food is easy to feed. give baths and let ur little one work up the hunger. they make us worry but god we do anythig for them. with the baby food. try getting her to lick it up. if she wont then you can gently open her mouth with your nail then put it along her teeth. she will end up eatting. put calcium in it. keep her uvb lights on her and just keep ffeeding her. good luck!

I wouldnt say she's anorexic... she's lost a few grams since the move. I know some beardies take a long time to settle from relocation stress.. but she's starting to really concern me now. She's not impacted... I dont feed her anything bigger than the size inbetween her eyes. She's eating baby food but barely. She gets daily baths.. her temps are right, etc.. dust her veggies & womrs with vitamin & calcium. She's pooping somewhat normal (every ohter day.. she used to poop twice a day before the move). I"m just really frustrated right now.. I dont know what else could I be doing wrong. I just rescued a beardie that I found in a trash can.. and he's eating like a champ !!! So I know my 'stuff' when it comes to proper care.. thanks to this site lol. MJ is just a brat... ughhh !!

CrystalReptile":85b57 said:
I'v given alex a pinky because of that before. Trust me, if its a one time thing, your little mj will be fine :D

How big was Alex when you gave it to him ? I just did a search again on here on the pros and cons of feeding pinkys.. and it lost me even more !!! Argh I dont know what to doooo !!!!

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
If you can find Benebac, Diane recommended it when Lilly quit eating. I couldn't find it and ended up getting Fluker's critical care. I mixed that with babyfood and syringe-fed it. After about a week she was back to doing bugs and now we are at better-than-normal. I think this is what she was talking about but you may want to PM her (diamc) to be sure. Honestly, since she hasn't lost a ton of weight, I wouldn't worry quite yet. Let's try to get her eating in a more healthy way. It's possible that a pinky could make things worse and she will only want fatty feeders that aren't good for her.
http://www.amazon.com/Bene-Bac%C2%AE-Bird-Reptile-Powder-4-5oz/dp/B0002ASS3E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1261976053&sr=8-5

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
spurlee01":81293 said:
If you can find Benebac, Diane recommended it when Lilly quit eating. I couldn't find it and ended up getting Fluker's critical care. I mixed that with babyfood and syringe-fed it. After about a week she was back to doing bugs and now we are at better-than-normal. I think this is what she was talking about but you may want to PM her (diamc) to be sure. Honestly, since she hasn't lost a ton of weight, I wouldn't worry quite yet. Let's try to get her eating in a more healthy way. It's possible that a pinky could make things worse and she will only want fatty feeders that aren't good for her.
http://www.amazon.com/Bene-Bac%C2%AE-Bird-Reptile-Powder-4-5oz/dp/B0002ASS3E/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1261976053&sr=8-5

Thanks Sara... I'll definately PM Diane. Why did Lilly quit eating.. do you know ? I'm really concerned about MJ. I might take her for a vet visit.. but I don't get paid until 2 weeks (and then offcourse there's bills!). She hasn't lost alot of weight YET.. but before the move, she was growing like a weed and eating like a maniac !! And was pooping twice a day.. and they were GIGANTIC YUCKY POOS (which mommy likes hehe).. and now she isn't pooping as much or eating. I've tried to syringe feed her but I think she's scared of it.. when she sees me with my syringe, she'll run and hide. Thanks again.. I'll check out the site :D
I'm crossing my fingers that when the worms shipment come in, she'll like some of them. I"ll hold off on the pinky.. I'm just really frustrated and thought that was the last resort to get her to start eating normal again.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Lilly started acting funny and quit eating around Thanksgiving. She ended up losing 50 grams in a matter of weeks (she was 511 at her highest). I took her to the vet and found out she was gravid. This will have been two weeks from tomorrow. She still has not laid, but is eating well and acting fine. Obviously that's not what's going on with MJ, though.

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
spurlee01":39611 said:
Lilly started acting funny and quit eating around Thanksgiving. She ended up losing 50 grams in a matter of weeks (she was 511 at her highest). I took her to the vet and found out she was gravid. This will have been two weeks from tomorrow. She still has not laid, but is eating well and acting fine. Obviously that's not what's going on with MJ, though.

Oh yah I've been reading your thread on Lilly... I didn't know that's the reason why she stopped eating. Poor baby.. well at least she's better now !!! I dont know MJ's exact age but I got her in June and she was only 5 inches long. THe petstore I got her from ddin't have her exact hatch date and made an estimate she was only a few weeks old, so I went by that. Could she be trying to brumate ??????

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
You know, it is possible. If she was 1-2 months old, she would be 7-8 months now. I've heard of them brumating at 8 months and I think someone said 6 months for one of theirs. How much weight has she lost?

Aznrainbowdime

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I weighed her on Christmas day, and she was only 180 grams. The last time I weighed her was early November (before I moved and lost the scale)... and she was 190 ish.. close to 200. :(

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
I don't know. With brumation they shouldn't lose much weight at all and she seems too small to brumate. I would try the critical care/ babyfood mix, it worked well with Lilly.

Indie85

Hatchling Member
Have you tried Dubia Roaches?
My beardie never eats very many crickets or locusts, just doesnt seem to like them? But he loves dubia roaches and phoenix worms.

CrystalReptile

Hatchling Member
Oh, sorry, a bit late on the reply.

Alex was about 16 inches at the time, i belive. (her, lol)

And it seemed to do her good. She had no problems passing it, but it was VERY TINY!! basicly, new-born.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom