Experiment with and without heat on Dubia Colonies

Status
Not open for further replies.

RioReptiles

Sub-Adult Member
About 3 months ago I thinned out my dubia colonies because I had close to 600 adult females in each one. (I have 6 total) I sold close to 2000 adults and got 4 bins back down to 300 to 400 adult females each and separated all the nymphs into 2 other bins. I put an under tank heater on one bin and left the others at 85º room temps in my fairly warm dragon room.

Three months later, the bin with heat is full of nymphs from baby to 1/2" and I feed them 1/4 cup of food and water crystals twice a day. The other bins have lots of babies, but only about 30% of the heated bin, and none are over 1/4" long.

So basically, heat makes a huge difference in their metabolism!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I also did an experiment like this with a whole colony.

The temp stayed at a constant 72 degrees during the day, and at night would get into the 65's near the bottom of the bin (where the heat pad is).
These conditions were kept like this for ~3-4 months.

Results:

Very few births.
A very slightly higher number of dead (and I mean VERY slight)
Growth rates seemed to stay the same as with heat.
Hunger for food seemed to stay the same.

Basically what happened was my colony turned into only adults.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom