Exo Terra Repti glo 10.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

scotty88

Never ever even think this is a good choice in lighting!This tube or compact will and i mean will kill your dragon/reptile... I have seen this first hand. Stay away from it and go with the Lights that you already know work!Don't ever let pet stores people BullSh** u into any thing to do with Dragons and their care,they know very little! :angry5: :D :)

I agree and disagree with your comment about the pet stores feeding people with nonsense. The pet store that I go to has good knowledge about beardies, due to half the workers owning beardies. The store I go to isn't a big chain store it is a local store. I used to go to PetSmart for some of my stuff and they don't know a thing about beardies. I am sorry about your beardie passing away. I was going to look into getting my beardie the light your talking about. But now I won't. Thanks for the info. Did the light just pretty much bake your beardie? Or what happened?

scotty88

Original Poster
Maybe i went a little general then,well in South Africa u can't really trust these pet stores..The best thing u could do before buying anything for your dragon is to shop online or at your local pet stores and get model numbers or brands you intend to buy and post it on the forum and soak up feed back on the item of interest.. You will save yourself money and all the frustration :D well i am happy u never bought this Light :D Its just that the Repti glo 10 was rushed to compete with the Repti sun 10 and this tube/bulb does not provide the right UVB wavelength and has also been a problem with damaging eyes or your dragon. :D
cheers

Buggsy

Gray-bearded Member
This is something that pops up quite alot on the forums, repti-glo can can not only cause eye problems, but can cause other side effects such as lethargy and stress for your little beardy. I had one for little over a year before i changed, and you can notice the difference almost immediatly.

But like Scotty88 says, just search the net and post any ideas on here to get feedback - im sure at least a few ppl have tried evrything there is so someone will have some advice on it!

Where about are you?

scotty88

Original Poster
Hey there,

Just a little more info on the Repti Glo 10!This was written by Tracy (Drache613) She is really full of good information and has helped me out bigtime... "Reptiglo 10 flourescent tube if used correctly, & by that I mean, it is 10 inches away from your dragons as well as placed directly by a bright white basking light will be safe. However, it does not emit good quality UVB. It can affect the rate of growth of your dragons because of the wavelength that it does not put out. The particular wavelength is poor & does not favor D3 synthesis & it will hinder calcium absorption too. We have seen cases where the dragons which have been under this bulb for awhile begin showing signs of metabolic bone disease" that sums it all up 4 me :x eish baba... Oh Durban South Africa

Markus

I have to agree that the Repti-Glo uvb bulb is a no no, my local reptile shop sold me one when i was asking for a Repti-Sun 10.0, I half agree about the pet shops spoon feeding you the bull to sell a product, but some pet stores have knowledge on reptiles and bearded dragons, but just because a pet store use a product to house the pets they are selling dosn't make the product good, think they are only using them for a short period of time whilst they have the reptile in their shop to be sold, and after that they dont realy care as long as the reptile dosn't die on them and they can make a profit, then if they sell you a more expensive yet less effective or possibly dangorous product and it harms/kills your bearded dragon where are you going to go buy a new beardie? right back to them!

The advice already mentioned above is very good, shop around on the internet, get a few products, post some links on these forums, get them checked out before you commit to buy. I know it might be a pain waiting to get your beardie because he or she is sooooo cute and cool, and you might think ill just buy what the pet shop says so i can take him home, but surely waiting an extra week to make sure your buying the right stuff for them is worth keeping your new pet happy and healty. Plus its also good when you can walk into the pet shop and when the guy behind the counter says yeah buy this this one is awesome you can say "Stop talking ****, i want this that & this, screw you!" lol well maybe not saying those exact words but you get my drift.

Don't let the people at the pet shop pressure you into buying anything you don't want or need, they just want to make a sale at the end of the day.

When i got my beardie as a baby i bought a "full set-up vivarium." it just seemd like the easyest way to do it. so far i've had to change my heat lamp, uv strip lamp(twice) & substrate.
& the Repti-glo has made my beardie pretty ill, thank god i came here to get advice and help on what the problem was before it was to late.

Having said all the above negatives about pet stores, i hope i didn't offend anyone that owns,runs or works in a respectable astablishment that know about & care for the lives of our little bearded friends, some places are good stores but its just sorting the gold from the mud really :D

All beardeddragon owners should know about these forums they have helped myself a hell of a lot with my little one, i would be lost without them =)

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
scotty88":a8e4a said:
Never ever even think this is a good choice in lighting!This tube or compact will and i mean will kill your dragon/reptile... I have seen this first hand. Stay away from it and go with the Lights that you already know work!Don't ever let pet stores people BullSh** u into any thing to do with Dragons and their care,they know very little! :angry5: :D :)

There was an abuse report submitted regarding the comments about all pet stores. I guess it isn't fair to say that ALL pet stores are bad and always give wrong info. Scotty, you did nothing wrong but perhaps saying MOST pet stores or even mentioning a chain would have been better. There may very well be a couple that are ok, perhaps the "mom & pop" stores. But, most members here have been steered wrong in the care and setup that their beardies need, myself included. So, I do understand why the OP made that comment. Most of the time new owners aren't aware that they have been given some wrong info, but when they find the forum and listen to other members' experiences, they realize that some changes need to be made and once those changes are made, the owners can't believe the change in their beardies' behavior and health.

Most of the members have been on this forum for a long time and have become knowledgeable in beardie care. We learned also from experience. A lot of us spend hours every single day listening to symptoms of an ill beardie and going over their setup with them to see if some changes need to be made. A lot of the time the wrong setup was because of info they had gotten at a pet store and it is very upsetting to us because the beardie is the one that is suffering from it. So, to the person that sent the abuse report, please read and listen to what everyone here has to say, who knows, it may just save your beardies life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom