Everything you ever wanted to know about "t5" and "Ho"....

Status
Not open for further replies.
namrufmot":1w7mhmca said:
Is there a t5 fixture that can attach to the back wall of an enclosure? Right now I have a t8 bulb in a fixture like this:
LED-T8-FIXTURE-K-024-NWF1.jpg
velcroed to the back wall.

Is there a t5 fixture that would work like this?

When I was at my local Wallyworld..haha...getting one for the t8 in the undercabinet type......they do have t5's available as well, and these things are really light to boot. They don't have a reflector, but those are easy to make.

-Vicki :D

ps. The t8's are not HO, so you will have to use a non HO t5 if you want to use a regular fixture. :D

Venutus1

Original Poster
namrufmot":6k6xpwmn said:
Is there a t5 fixture that can attach to the back wall of an enclosure? Right now I have a t8 bulb in a fixture like this:

This apears to be the same designe as your T8 in t5:

http://www.growlightsupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=111

Question... are you asking because you have a solid top and can not set a fixture on it?

Because with HO T5's , screen is not an issue as far as cutting down too much on UV is concerned.

Thanks!
Todd

Narwhal72":pjz96fc1 said:
I did click on the links. But the information they provided was minimal. The charts were unlabeled so I am guessing the values were UVB? or were they UVA+B? Where are the UV Index values? And a couple of pictures of one viv brighter than another? La De Da. I think the dimmer vivs looked better and had more natural color. It's all marketing and not providing any meaningful data.

If the reptile industry started the meaningless percentage system and Arcadia is so concerned about the hobby why don't they change their rating system rather than continue to perpetuate a meaningless system? I can tell you why. It's easier to market and it would make them accountable for producing a product that performs as they say. If the lamps don't perform as they should now they don't have to worry as the performance of the lamps is undefined and can be whatever they want.

I do think there is a place for HO T5 lighting in reptile lighting but it will need to be for enclosures that are taller than the typical 12-18" range that most off the shelf vivs are sized at in order to reduce the amount of UVB the animals are exposed to.

I can foresee people having a lot of problems using these lamps on shorter vivs which could expose the reptiles to much higher than needed levels of UVB. At 12" the Arcadia 12% with a reflector produces more than twice the amount of UVB that a Zilla Desert 50 produces (and I am talking about the post 2008 version with the improved and strength reduced phosphor blend).

LED will be along soon enough and provide visible light in new ways and with greater energy efficiency. But it will need to be combined with fluorescent technology in order to produce UV light as UV LED's that produce UVB do not exist and UVA LED's are extremely expensive.

Metal Halide is old technology and will probably never make it into the reptile industry in a meaningful way.

Every hobbyist should have two Solarmeters so that they can measure the amount of UVB and also the UV Index so they can measure the strength of the UVB. But 98% of people who have reptiles do not have both or even one of these meters and they depend on the information provided to them from the manufacturers.

Andy

Hi Andy,

I am sure you noticed that the website Todd has linked a few times is for the ACTUAL MAKER of this awesome lighting product. Having read through this topic since it started I couldn't help but notice perhaps a mild irritation with the lack of technical information/specs available for answers to your questions. As Todd wasn't in on the design process; his information is limited in some aspects by what Arcadia provides. It is the same information that anyone who desires to find it could.

Now; seeing as how no one here is able to answer your questions with the exact technical information you seek; perhaps it may be in your best interest to help alleviate your frustration with the limited information available, to simply e-mail your questions to the people that made it. Sure it may take a bit to get your answers, but I bet you will. You just need to ask the right people who have that information. Oh, btw I got the e-mail address for you :D Just title it "Support"

[email protected]

-Vicki

p.s.
Just a side note Andy, if you go back and read the 1st post that started this thread, it specifically states that this is "general information" :D

Venutus1":1t8gfuhl said:
dodgersmom":1t8gfuhl said:
Hi Todd,

Thanks for all the information on this topic, it helps sort things out a bit.

In looking on your site at the Arcadia bulbs, I noticed the HO t5 D3+ 12% and then what I assume is a NO t8 D3+ 12% as it shows *fits in all reg fluorescent fixtures*; is that correct? If it is correct, how does the NO D3+ differ from the ReptiSun 10.0?
My next question then is: does the NO t8 D3+ 12% [if it is t8] produce adequate UVA/daylight and UVB light?
Would that eliminate the need for an additional 6.5K daylight bulb, or would I still need a daylight bulb?

I think that is it, for now anyway.

[when I build my new vivs I will have the extra room to switch over to HO t5's but right now I don't have the distance]

Thanks

-Vicki

Hi Vicki.
My real answer: no single T8 tube provides enough visible light to match what they get in Nature.
Take a light meter outside and see what the light levels are ... (not talking about UV per se' ... just plain 'ol brightness.)
Then compare to 99.9% of the set-ups.
Our set ups DO NOT COMPARE... or EVEN COME CLOSE!
Outside of maybe the 6" -8" "Bright Spot" under the basking light.
So basically, most folks are keeping their pets like if WE were living in a dim room lit with CANDLES all our lives!
:cry:

Talk about S.A.D. :shock: (Seasonal affective disorder)

So, yes, by all means.... add another Full spectrum daylight bulb or maybe even some Jungle Dawn LED lighting.*
* ok that was a plug. :oops:

The Arcadia is a 12% bulb and the Zoo med is a 10% bulb.
I offer both.

This thread was intended for us to talk about the mechanics and application of T5 lighting.... because it seemed like so folks were saying it was confusing..
Not for me to sell or endorse anything.
Or try not to.. anyway.

But that is what folks seem to be asking me. LOL

Anyway, I am sure you know what bulb I personally feel is the best . 8)
The best made and longest lasting one from jolly old England.
I whole-heartedly favor the one made by the Company that I think is far superior in their philosophy for ADVANCING the hobby, rather than their wallets. :lol:
Like so many of them are.
and FYI...Arcadia is also the company that has been around quite a bit LONGER than the other too boot. They have been big in Europe since the late 60's.

Having said that, both are very good quality products, because ....I would not offer them if they were not. :blob5:
(note: i do not carry much by Zilly... :silent: or any exo teary linear flo. tubes :puke: . lol)

just a side note.. since I DID start the thread.... I guess I can indulge myself a wee bit.
One thing to know ... I am old. :blob8:
I have been keeping reptiles and exotics since 1976.
Another thing to know. I have worked for 5 pet stores from 1975 onward.... and owned one in the 80's (sold it, worst decision of my life) and owned a percentage of one in the 90's.
BUT...
I also must tell you I am NOT a beardie expert. I do not have any! ... yet.
But I have an empty 70 gal. tank and certainly all the lighting I need! :lol: :lol:

Funny story, then I will stop rambling Vicki. :mrgreen:
I first started using UV back in 1979 over leopard and pancake tortoises.
There was NO internet, no UV products to keep reptiles healthy. NOTHING. :banghead:
I knew zoos used UV because I read about it and studied up on it.
Back then you used GE Time a tan mercury vapor bulbs they made to "tan" people. (and they were STRONG)
There were no Solarmeters and no way to effectivly test strength... so I tested exposure time with my own body!
At a distance of 5-6 feet, my arm "tanned" (or burned more like it, LOL) to the equivalent of about 35 min. in mid day sun.
So that was about = to the strength of natural sunlight.
Then I computed exposure time for the tortoises off that ....to great results. :roll:

Anyway, yes, if you have a large cage and an option to add a GOOD full spectrum daylight bulb... then do it.
And you can put it on a morn / noon / night cycle by using a few inexspensive 5.99 timers from wal mart.
And have the light and UV levels vary in an arc of intensity throughout the day- JUST LIKE IN NATURE!

well. I guess we didn't get to talk much about the mechanics of t5's in this post, but I hope I have said something intelligent here that you can use.

Cheers!
Todd
lightyourreptiles.com
e/m
[email protected]

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your response. It did provide intelligent useful information...LOL
Also, it is funny you should mention the jungle led lighting, I was just looking at that last night but thought it may be too bright, since most led's blind ya if you look at them. (personal experience as I accidentially pushed the switch on an led flashlight while it was pointed up and I happened to be looking at something on the floor :shock: :cry: )

Anyway, I digress. Thanks for the info.

-Vicki

Venutus1":zl9cdey7 said:
namrufmot":zl9cdey7 said:

Question... are you asking because you have a solid top and can not set a fixture on it?

Because with HO T5's , screen is not an issue as far as cutting down too much on UV is concerned.

Thanks!
Todd

Good Idea Todd, I totally didn't think of a grow supply store since I can't use T5's right now :banghead:

namrufmot

Hatchling Member
Venutus1":1jwi839b said:
namrufmot":1jwi839b said:

Thanks!
Todd

I have my beardie (he was stunted by his former owner) in a 55g tank, so keeping the light on top of the screen is a pain. So I mount the fixture inside the tank against the back wall. This ensures he can get within 6-8" of the bulb and it won't block ANY uv.

My walmrt had this fixture: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lights-of-America-23-Under-Cabinet-Light-White/16877935

it says 14w, but is that the bulb it comes with? Would it acccept a 22" arcadia which is 24w?

namrufmot

Hatchling Member
Here is a pic of my setup..you can see the Reptisun 10.0 on the back. Suggestions for what type of bulb/fixture I should go to next?

photo0090j.jpg

namrufmot

Hatchling Member
Here is a pic of my setup..you can see the Reptisun 10.0 on the back. Suggestions for what type of bulb/fixture I should go to next?

namrufmot":2ptids2j said:
Venutus1":2ptids2j said:
namrufmot":2ptids2j said:

Thanks!
Todd

I have my beardie (he was stunted by his former owner) in a 55g tank, so keeping the light on top of the screen is a pain. So I mount the fixture inside the tank against the back wall. This ensures he can get within 6-8" of the bulb and it won't block ANY uv.

My walmrt had this fixture: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Lights-of-America-23-Under-Cabinet-Light-White/16877935

it says 14w, but is that the bulb it comes with? Would it acccept a 22" arcadia which is 24w?

Hi,

If the fixture is only 23" total length it will hold a 22" bulb, However as far as I know [someone plz correct me if I am wrong] the standard UVB lamps from ReptiSun and others only come in 18,24,36 and 48". I have never seen one that stated a 22" length :( As far as the HO T5 from Arcadia, there is a 22" bulb; but again for that type of bulb you must have an HO fixture to support it such as http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22t5hofihou.html; there is also a combo with the HO bulb....I just used this as an example. An HO T5 fixture will say HO or high output on it, if it doesn't then it is a regular or NO fixture.

As far as the walmart fixture, in the correct length, it will hold this one http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/ard3rela24fa.html This is not an HO fixture so it will not hold the HO version of the same bulb. If you want the other version, then you must get the HO fixture. Now; purely an assumption (which I really hate to assume anything); any of the Arcadia bulbs that are listed to "fit in x size" regular fixture, is probably an NO T8 version since it does not say T5 like the others do. I'm probably wrong on that,Todd would be the one to ask for that.

Hope this helps :D

-Vicki

BossLady3

Im still unsure about the distance needed if I were to use a T5 HO that has a built in reflector. I do have a solarmeter, but I want to have an idea of what kind of distances I need with and without reflectors in my T5 fixture before I go out and buy all of it.

Eli22

Hi I have a 24in tall enclosure and I would like to know which arcadia bulb and fixture I would be best off with for optimal uv. It will be mounted in side the enclosure. Thanks

Venutus1

Original Poster
BossLady3":3pepipgs said:
Im still unsure about the distance needed if I were to use a T5 HO that has a built in reflector. I do have a solarmeter, but I want to have an idea of what kind of distances I need with and without reflectors in my T5 fixture before I go out and buy all of it.

HI,
I would think you would be fine at 18" -24" and thru a screen.
The 12% are pretty potent.

Now, there is also the 6% that is a great option as well...
That can be closer and gives good light, ie. more lumens.

It also makes a difference if the light runs the whole length of an enclosure... or just half or... say... 3/4.
You see, that creates UV gradients like what would be found in Nature.. say if half the (large) cage is low UV, and half has higher levels.

With HO T5 - ESPECIALLY the 12%... YOU DO NOT WANT IT IN THE CAGE *CLOSE* TO THE ANIMAL.

Hope this helps!

Sincerely,
Todd

Venutus1

Original Poster
BossLady3":1utlkqgq said:

oops. sorry, I didn't see this post first.
With the 12%:.
start at around 20" - 28" no screen -- and measure and adjust from there. It varies depending on how effective the light's reflector is too! 8)
W/ Screen...... about 15-18" -- as a starting point and measure and adjust from there.

With the 6%:
With no screen 14" - 18" -- and measure and adjust from there. It varies depending on how effective the lights reflector is too!
With Screen 11"- 16" -- and measure and adjust from there.

Hope this helps. :p

Venutus1

Original Poster
Eli22":gxy8vo50 said:

A BIG "Thank You" to Eli for helping me post these.... :blob5: :blob8: :blob5:

Hi Folks,
This is what I wanted to show you...

These are the Arcadia 6% & 12% HO HIGH OUT-PUT T5s at 12 inches and 24 inches... with and without screen.

And the Solarmeter 6.2 and 6.5 readings off them.

NOTE: They are in a t5 fixture with a good reflector.

This should help clear up some confusion and give folks and idea of the "umph" these babies have. :lol:

Sincerely,
Todd
www.lightyourreptiles.com
[email protected]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RudeGurl
Top Bottom