Evee's weird neck & small update

Status
Not open for further replies.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Hey all - Evee is doing great! Except her neck. In the next week or so she will be getting her jaw re-x-rayed and I am positive it is healed. She will always have a weird alignment as the infection was IN the bone and there is no way for that to heal straight, but she's eating and more active than ever.

Now, the neck is a whole other story. It's just weird. Her vet thinks she has a fungal issue. The skin on her neck was REALLY thick (same with her tail) and we are both sure that she has not shed properly in a while (thank old owners *grumble*). Here's a few views:

Full Evee (look at her JAW!!!) -
87171-2127583046.jpg

Right side -
87171-2304561246.jpg

Middle -
87171-48868959.jpg

Left side -
87171-2369196997.jpg

The skin that is now exposed after the scales finally shed is super soft and coloured brighter than her scales would be (I am assuming the colour is a natural one that always under the scales). I'm going to take photos of her tail tonight too to show how it looks. The scales are all bunched together in sections (vet thinks she wasn't able to grow properly or shed properly) with creases in between the sections that are almost bare. She's a trooper though! Her vet said to put canesten on it daily to get rid of any fungus. We didn't culture for it yet as - well - I've sunk a lot of money into my beardies (only to lose one) and I'm pretty much maxed out with school & sports coming up ( :shock: ). I send the vet photos and she helps me out that way to save me a trip in (and money! Seriously awesome vet).

I'm just wondering if anyone has seen this before as I have googled and googled and maybe I'm using the wrong wording but I can't find anything similar online :/

Thanks!
Gwen

Gail

BD.org Addict
I have seen something very similar on a pair of uromastyx. In their case there was extensive scarring from a severe fungus infection.
I don't know if they ever got cured of the fungus, they eventually ended up going to a rehab center for treatment.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Glad to hear that her jaw is doing better. :) How long has her neck been like that ? Can you take pics of her neck while she's dry ? It is probably fungal, I don't think it's yellow fungus though [ hopefully ] Is Evee on a lot of antibiotics ? If so , they can weaken the immune system and allow fungus to take hold. You might try putting raw honey on those areas, it's a powerful antimicrobial and bacteria doesn't hardly grow in it at all.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I honestly don't know how long her neck has had the issue. Our vet thought it looked off and very thick. She told me to use canesten on it for now until she can look at it again.

Evee had to go on 2 antibiotics. Penicillin which I give her via injection (yes, I give my baby a shot every other day...she's a trooper) 0.02 MLS is the dose. When I got her she had a bump on her back...the penicillin nailed it. Here's what came out
87171-324740187.jpg
I noticed the bump looked weird and it popped right off. I meant to take a photo of her back now. Will do so tomorrow

She is also on Gentamicin for the bone infection - one drop directly on the wound which I occasionally have to scrap to keep it open...ugh. Her jaw looks better every day. The bone infection was resistant to everything except the Gentamicin ?

Now here's the photos of her dry...not much different and a couple of her tail.

87171-9559134310.jpg
87171-7946613254.jpg
87171-9548087948.jpg
87171-198327387.jpg
87171-9566997005.jpg

Her antibiotics should be done in about 5 days or 6. That's when she goes for her 6 week check ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Gwen, it would be good to get a skin scraping done ASAP. Now that I can see the neck better and the tail, I do think it looks like CANV [ yellow fungus ] It is very serious and very difficult to treat. Poor girl was dealing very well with her jaw, now this. When you bathe her, use a good amount of betadine in the water, so it looks like brown tea, just don't let her drink it of course. Use the fungal cream on her tail now too after she's dry.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
? pardon my language but...****...I had a feeling you were going to say that but was hoping otherwise. I'may going to see where I can get that local and will call the vet in the morning. She's been doing so well...I honestly wonder if she's had it for a while just because of it's presentation. Our vet thinks that Evee and Gonzo are older than the other owners said because of how Gonzo died and with all of Evee's issue. I honestly wish I could throat punch them and I am not a violent person. I'may just floored people can be so cruel to creatures either out of disinterest or plain ignorance ? Sorry for the vent. It's so disheartening.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I feel so bad for you and Evee....my heart breaks reading every thread with these brave little sick dragons. :( For now she's doing well though so just take it one day at a time and enjoy her . She looks alert + happy and no one can say exactly how she will deal with this and for how long. She's a fighter !

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Yes she really is...I am amazed she is doing so well now considering what she was like...especially with the jaw fracture and infection. She's definitely my spoiled baby and she is so good when I give her her medications. I'm sure she's tired of it but she is always calm for them. She is even chasing crickets now which is new! I'm not going to stress over her not eating greens as she has been through so much...it will come. You are right..for now I will keep doing what I can and enjoy the time we have. Hopefully we can get this cleared up and enjoy many years together. I wish I had posted this when I first saw her scales lifting ?

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I emailed my vet after posting and she is in agreement (she too was hoping it was something else but suspected CANV since seeing her initially which is why she said to use the canesten). I have little doubt I will be seeing her tomorrow with Evee. Biggest downside - she already has been checking into the oral fungal treatment...it's hundreds for 1 bottle...she was hoping to keep some at the clinic just in case but the cost was prohibitive (especially she hence Evee is really the only one who would need it out of their clients ?). She's gong to check with other local clinics to see if they have any that she can script out for Evee. Timing couldn't be worse. We just finished a house Reno, school and hockey/ringette season is soon (my 16 daughter is a goalie for both) and my cards are almost maxed. I could scream but I think my 2 year old sleeping beside me might get upset if I did...

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
My poor little girl ... she's having a tough time.

Might be worth considering cloudfunding like others have done here in the hope of getting some donations to help offset the cost the antifungal treatment.

Wonder if F10 ointment might kill off the fungal infection in Eeve's skin applied externally to the areas infected. see http://www.chemicalessentials.com.au/f10-skin-treatment.html
F10 Germicidal Barrier Ointment – F10 Germicidal Barrier Ointment is also based on F10SC Veterinary Disinfectant and is effective in dogs, cats and horses against bacteria, fungi and viruses to treat open and contaminated wounds and prevent reinfection.

This product has multiple uses and can be used as a stand-alone treatment for minor injuries, or in the case of reoccurring conditions should be treated in conjunction with a complete treatment plan, including antibiotics, as directed by a veterinarian.

Indications:
An antiseptic preparation effective against bacteria, fungi and viruses to treat open and contaminated wounds and to prevent re-infestation.

Antimicrobial Action:
The antimicrobial action of the preparation is based upon the proprietary branded F10 compound. The mechanism of action of F10 is derived from those of each component taken separately, in addition to those due to the additive synergistic action of all components combined. At the concentrations in the product F10 has been assessed as giving a > log5 reduction in microbial counts against gram positive and gram negative bacteria; fungi, yeasts and moulds; enveloped and non-enveloped viruses; bacterial and fungal spores. The group of keratinophylic fungi is very large, but only two genera, known as dermatophytes, are known to cause disease ("ringworm") in animals. The genera involved are Microsporum spp, and Trichophyton spp. F10 Germicidal Barrier Ointment is effective in a contact time of 10 minutes, however repeated applications every day until the condition clears is the recommended treatment protocol.

Benefits:
•Proven efficacy based on F10SC Veterinary Disinfectant
•Proven safety with humans and animals (even cats)
•APVMA registered as a veterinary medicine
•Contains glycerin and lanolin and offers high levels of safe and effective skincare.
•Broad indication covers a wide range of conditions
•Effective alternative to antibiotic topical treatment
•Ointment formulation is effective for longer than antiseptic sprays that dry quickly
•Ointment formulation adheres to wound site better than creams, and application is not as messy

Pack Sizes: F10 Germicidal Barrier Ointment is available in 25g and 500g pack sizes.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The topical F10 treatment may be effective but it's experimental. You may want to look into an oral antifungal as well. Voriconazole has shown to be effective against YF in some cases.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Thanks everyone. I don't feel right crowd funding...call me old fashioned (or just old lol) I just don't feel right about it.

My vet talked about an oral antifungal but it is costly. She is out until Tuesday but when she gets in she is going to check with places around here for it and script it out for me...and we're going to do the test to be sure as well.

She went one step further and wants me use the betadine twice a day undiluted (using a cotton ball) directly on the affected areas and to continue with the canesten. I did as directed tonight and both bathed her in it (diluted of course) and stabbed it on then put on the antifungal. She didn't like the betadine very much...I imagine it stings a bit. Here's hoping.

Feels weird getting the canesten lol...I always feel like I need to explain it's for my beardie. Awkward. The betadine was behind the counter at the pharmacy. Glad they had some. I'll ask my vet about the F10. My sense is that she wants to work with the canesten first and add an oral med and the betadine. Here's hoping she beats the odds and is ok soon. No more illness!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
My vet swears by the use of F10 products. She reckons they are the bee's knees for dealing with infections and for sterilising things.

You might find some stuff like :
http://store.independenceaustralia.com/wound-care/wound-dressings/kits-packs/dressing-pack-standard.html
wound dressing kits are very handy and the trays can be resterilised and reused.

http://store.independenceaustralia.com/riodine-antiseptic-ointment-10.html for applying to the infected area - less mess than chemist brand Betadiene.

http://store.independenceaustralia.com/betadine-anstiseptic-solution-100ml.html is more economic than the tiny 5ml bottles sold in chemists.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I'll ask her about the F10. That ointment looks way easier to use than the liquid. I was able to get a fairly large bottle of betadine here - 500 ml. It'll last a while ? I'm going to see if I can find a kit like that here in Canada. That would be handy. The betadine is messy lol

scorpius

Poor little dragon , she really is a trooper , going through all of this and you are a saint for helping her get better . I hope she is better soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom