Enter the dragon...from the front end (New pics 6/30)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
I got my first bearded dragon a little over 3.5yrs ago. Its been a fun ride, with some ups and downs, but I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Bacon, a couple days after I got her
CIMG0294.jpg

CIMG0293.jpg

CIMG0305.jpg

I remember posting this picture in the intro section. I still have that tiny tank...she lived in it for about 4 months. That MVB lasted 6 months, and didn't give me any issues. Can't say the same for the modern variety :evil:
CIMG0299.jpg

I was browsing the classified section on another forum one day, and I saw an add for a free bearded dragon in my area. Acting on impulse, I called the people and scheduled a pickup. They gave me their 6 month old dragon, Oscar, and his entire setup (including their roach colony :puke: ). He was very shy...the complete opposite of Bacon, but he was my boy!
CIMG0328.jpg

CIMG0327.jpg

CIMG0326.jpg

His feet were shedding in the last pic...

Now here is the kicker of the story. I was in college at the time, living in an on campus apartment. I wasn't allowed to have pets of any kind (sans fish). So what did I do with my lizards? Hide them under the bed of course :D
CIMG0331.jpg

Bacon was growing like a weed, and needed a new cage ASAP. Oscar was getting huge too...so I made the choice to build my first enclosure...
IMG_0279.jpg

IMG_0280.jpg

He really liked the extra space to stretch out
IMG_0225.jpg

But he always finds something to be picky about...in this case, he wasn't satisfied with his greens and promptly spread them all over the viv in protest.
IMG_0273-1.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

Bacon moved into her new digs too (I'm actually missing that pic, so here is one a bit later)
CageSetup.jpg

She now had a ton of room to do her favorite activity....sleep
IMG_0170-1.jpg

And her second favorite activity...trying to fit in the food bowl
IMG_0119-1-1.jpg

And back to her favorite activity...
IMG_0216.jpg

She even learned that if she played her cards right, daddy will come and tuck her in...
IMG_0283.jpg

It was also around this time that I started making foam/grout structures. The first attempts of which can be seen in Oscars enclosure above. Once I got bitten by the fake rock bug however, I just couldn't stop. So over the next couple years both of their enclosures went through various remodels.
Oscar V3
IMG_0455.jpg

Bacon V3
IMG_0364.jpg

Oscar V4
PC038.jpg

IMG_0794-1.jpg

Over the years Oscar and Bacon have had some encounters. This has always led to some massive head bobbing...
Oscar010.jpg

Most of the time these encounters were accidental. But sometimes when I'm feeling evil, I'll give Oscar a peek...
Oscar006.jpg

But Bacon is never impressed, and usually ignores him.
Oscar008.jpg

For the rest of the day he'll be sporting a black beard
Oscar0011.jpg

Oscar003.jpg

But eventually, things return to normal
252907644_photobucket_11222_.jpg

Oscar turns 4yrs old next month, and he'll always be my big boy.
IMG_0783-1.jpg

PC002.jpg

Bacon is about 4 months behind Oscar, and she'll always be my first dragon...my little darling.
IMG_0150.jpg

IMG_0240-1.jpg

Even if she is asleep most of the time...
IMG_0169.jpg

catUK

Gray-bearded Member
aw i love your little story. The pics are great and you have two lovely beardies...i love the pic of her in the food bowl- she looks so guilty! Thanks for sharing

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hey look....Bacon's sleeping, what a surprise :roll:
IMG_0013-1.jpg

She is also shedding all over the place due to her recent weight gain. I think its to do with her reduced activity level since she hurt one of her rear legs. She still eats like a pig and is very active, but she used to run miles in her enclosure. Leg is healing up nicely though. Note all the towels...I removed all her high basking platforms and left her with a very simple padded enclosure while she heals. If anything, I wish she wouldn't be active at all...she is always banging around in there risking further injury.

And Oscar was being Mr. Lazy as always, so I removed all his hides to increase his activity level. It worked, but after I found him looking around for a place to sleep I gave him a nice pillow...he seems to really dig it. He wasn't happy after the picture though...the flash woke him up :lol:
IMG_0012.jpg

Atrax

Sub-Adult Member
That's great!! :D And nice enclosures too.
Hahaha, that pic in the food bowl was legendary :D :D

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Snapped some macros of Bacon:
IMG_0034.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0020-1.jpg

IMG_0036.jpg

Enjoying her new dig-box
IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0045.jpg

Enjoying it a bit too much...
IMG_0046.jpg

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
Awesome beautiful dragons...

Me and my daughter are going to make some rock structures for the first time. It's going to be a mom/daughter project.. I started buying the stuff. I was going to use styrofoam. What did you use? They look awesome.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
lauraj1055":3empjrfe said:

Me and my daughter are going to make some rock structures for the first time. It's going to be a mom/daughter project.. I started buying the stuff. I was going to use styrofoam. What did you use? They look awesome.

I also used foam. Specifically the styrofoam insulation sheets sold at Home Depot. I cut and shaped the various pieces...on the larger structures I used some reinforcing wooden doweling and brackets, but otherwise its almost entirely foam and grout.
IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0688-1.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

SamusTheDragon

Sub-Adult Member
Wow, what lucky beardies :) . Question: How'd you manage to hide them all throughout college without anyone ever saying anything? Staff never came in and saw (not like people would look under your bed lol) but I may have to do the same thing for my two when I go to college :lol:

lauraj1055

Gray-bearded Member
BadCon":k17s1u4j said:
lauraj1055":k17s1u4j said:

I also used foam. Specifically the styrofoam insulation sheets sold at Home Depot. I cut and shaped the various pieces...on the larger structures I used some reinforcing wooden doweling and brackets, but otherwise its almost entirely foam and grout.
IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0676.jpg

IMG_0679.jpg

IMG_0688-1.jpg

IMG_0692.jpg

Thanks so much! I have everything but styrofoam and grout.. lol must go to home depot this week!

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
SamusTheDragon":2tc7w3n0 said:
Wow, what lucky beardies :) . Question: How'd you manage to hide them all throughout college without anyone ever saying anything? Staff never came in and saw (not like people would look under your bed lol) but I may have to do the same thing for my two when I go to college :lol:

I was already halfway through my junior year when I got beardies. I moved off campus my senior year, so really I only had to hide them for about 6 months. It helped that I was in an apartment on campus, which is considerably more private and autonomous then a dorm room. They inspected the apartments once a semester and always gave notice beforehand. They aren't allowed to touch or move anything, so placing the dragons under the bed with something in front of them effectively made them invisible. By inspections I mean these guys walked in, glanced around, then left...in total about 30 seconds was spent "inspecting" your rooms.
A dorm room would present a considerable challenge with regards to hiding dragons. Its usually not as large, and there is the unknown roommate to contend with (by the time we got to on campus apartments we picked our own roommates). The same rules would still apply...they aren't allowed to touch or move anything, however that won't stop a chatty neighbor from ruining your secret accidentally (or on purpose...). Its unlikely that you would keep them secret for long. So my best suggestion would be to either pick a college that allows pets (more and more are adopting this policy), or to get someone at home who could look after the dragons while you're away.

SamusTheDragon

Sub-Adult Member
Yeah. Well thats pretty cool. Lol I can just imagine telling my parents "I got into Harvard, but I'm not going because I can't bring Milo & Samus" lol xD , (Not like that would ever happen though). I'll just try to find somewhere that I can bring them, because who knows what would happen if I left them with the family :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hitclubhomes1
Top Bottom