Enclosure for Two

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got my second female Bearded Dragon. I am currently housing them in a aquarium measuring 21"H X 48"W X 12"D I think this is a 55 gallon, I'm not sure though. I'm considering building a little bit bigger enclosure because I was told this current enclosure is only big enough for one. if so how big should the enclosure be to house both of them in the same Tank. I want to keep them in the same tank together. I was also thinking of custom building a rock wall and ledges with some built in hides but I want to make sure my enclosure is big enough but I also don't have a massive amount of room in the house for some huge enclosure either.

jscott

Gray-bearded Member
hey, welcome to BD.org.

sounds like you got the passion for beardeddragons, carefull their like potato chips; you cant have just one :D .

heres the problem;

bearded dragons dont always do well together in captivity. they often fight each other, even male and female. sometimes the male might want to mate with the female but she doesnt want to, injuries can occur.

its not impossible to keep them together but remember; in nature the male and females live seperately and alone. they come together to breed(usually forcibly on the males part) then the female runs off to tend to the young while the male looks for another female dragon.

if you were really going to try it i wouldnt go anything less than 5 feet long, 2 feet wide and 2 feet tall. wider would be better(3' instead of 2').

and then, you may come to find out that they dont like eachother. some dragons just dont wish to share eachothers company and in that scenario, its like putting two rival gang members in an apartment with no escape... not a good outcome.

so if you try it, but please go about it in a carefull, conservative way so the animals dont get harmed.

good luck with everything :wink: .

TContender

Original Poster
I don't have a Male yet. Both of my dragons are female. I just introduced them to each other and they seem to be doing fine.

Seven65

Juvie Member
If you're going to build a new enclosure you probably should consider seperating them. Even if they seem fine there are usually dominance issues. An example of this is the pet store I go to has 2 dragons in the same enclosure and they've been fine together for months but recently I've noticed one showing strong dominance signs, bearding and bobbing his head and when the other doesn't pay attention to his signs of dominance he will run up onto the basking spot, stand on the others head and start headbobbing while pushing the others head into the ground. Some have also been known to attack each other for seemingly no reason after long periods of what seems like friendship this can result in lost limbs.

Also consider that you're putting a male and female together, there is a large chance of the male overbreeding the female and the female's health suffering because of it. And male + female = BABIES, 20-30 of them at a time, if you're going to house them together prepare for that.

As said before, people have had success keeping them together but there are a lot of obsticles and the possibility of serious health issues to overcome. Good luck in however you decide to house them.

Ethelia

Extreme Poster
As other members have stressed beardies are solitary and territorial creatures and so should always be housed alone.
It is one of the most frustrating thing as a dragon lover that ignorant pet stores insist that this is acceptable. It sends people off with utterly false information which can end horrifically for the dragons, or end the owner up with a whacking great extra spend on a whole new set of equipment.
Unfortunatly you only need a liscence to sell reptiles. You do not need any special training or education to run a reptile store.
SOME reptiles can happily co-habit, however most store lack the in depth knowledge to understand that this is not the case for bearded dragons.

Asside from dominance and territorial issues it is always a dreadful idea to house males and females together.
This can lead to over breeding, or breeding two young, both which put your females dragons health at serious risk, let alone the stress. If you have watched any clips on youtube of dragons mating you will see it is a very aggressive act.
Males can literally breed a female to death if given the chance. Even professional breeders do not allow males and females to cohabit. They are allowed to meet once for copulation out side of the vivs and then seperated immediately.

Mating asside, when beardies are housed together one usually becomes dominant causing the other beardie to not grow properly due to stress, although sometimes stress does not manifest itself physically.
This is another missrepresented fact by "common knowledge". Behaviour such as arm waving, head bobbing and sitting on top of one another are all signals of dominance, submission and stress. Yet these are the very characteristics that *****ic store workers sell dragons for!
"Oh they are fascinating. Look how she waves all day long"
Yet the poor dragon is constantly defensive and afraid in her own viv.

The most serious and obvious issue of cohabiting dragons is violence.
Futhermore beardies can and do attack eachother, and unfortunatly dragons are not like dogs, who can be taught about naughty aggressive behaviour. They can live in apparent harmony for months and then one day snap and thats it.
One story that comes to mind is a girl on these forums named Ambulance. She housed two dragons together happily for months and came home one day to find the female had ripped the other dragons tail completely off.
Once it has happened once, it will happen again and again.
Dragons will think nothing of nipping off a chunk or tail/toe in order to defend their basking spot, unfortunatly it is just in their nature.

I dont mean to scare or scold you by any means, but I want you to show you what can happen:

In my time keeping dragons I have rescued three dragons who were living in a viv with other dragons.

This is Dexter. Rescued as an adult.
Dex was small for her age and was missing a bit of her tail, most of her right arm, most of her right foot and alot of her toes.
bearded.jpg

This is Ruben. Rescued at two months old.
Ruben had his leg and arms ripped off at the joints by his clutchmates.
imsleeping.jpg

This is Miso. Rescued at only 3 weeks old
Little Miso, already has a tail nip and is missing most of her back toes.
miso3.jpg

There are rare cases where dragons show no signs of agression towards eachother, and there isnt too much bullying but it is a risk that is simply not worth taking as Im sure you now understand.
I would suggest you separate your beardies when you can offer them seperate habitats.
They will lead much happier lives alone.

Holly

cheese

Hatchling Member
I would just say bearded dragons can't be housed together. I my mind I would keep them apart always. I think that they will fight and in my opinion one will probly die. get it got it good :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cr0w
Top Bottom