Empty tank syndrome

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Hey guys just wanted to stop in and say hi.

"Hi ?"

To be honest, I've totally been stalking this forum, and pet stores, and rescues, and Craigslist, and a few people at the mall with Cinnabon. Aside from completely cleaning and disinfecting Mags tank/decor everything is still there. I'm getting empty tank syndrome pretty hardcore too.

Has anyone else traumatically lost a dragon and decided to go through it again? My partner recommended getting a tortoise, but I don't know much about them.

(Btw idk if I mentioned before but the necropsy showed that she had a congenital heart defect likely due to inbreeding ? )

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Oh yeah!!! It is a sad thing to go through, I tortured myself staring at her empty viv for three weeks before I got Peaches. When Nazdoramou was taken from us much to soon, I wasn't sure if I wanted to do it again but, I am glad I did. I rescued her as much as she did me, (I was devastated and Naz wasn't even my dragon). She helped ease the emptiness, Naz can't be replaced. I just decided to start a new journey and, Peaches is my new travel companion!

Don't let the emptiness get to you! I am SO GLAD I got Peaches!

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I even went as far as sold my dubia colony because I was D-U-N, done. The couple I sold it to has a dragon that was given to them and they want to rehome him because they are starting breeders and want his tank for 24 soon to be hatchlings. She says he has no health problems but at 5 years old is only 15" long. I'm scared to death to take in an unhealthy dragon and go through everything again :/

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Zombiepanda":1mk9q5io said:
I even went as far as sold my dubia colony because I was D-U-N, done. The couple I sold it to has a dragon that was given to them and they want to rehome him because they are starting breeders and want his tank for 24 soon to be hatchlings. She says he has no health problems but at 5 years old is only 15" long. I'm scared to death to take in an unhealthy dragon and go through everything again :/
With the knowledge you have now, he could really use your help and, we are always here for you!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've been through it too. It's really tough to work through. I found that picking up a sick dragon from a rescue situation is incredibly rewarding. It's tough because they can't always be saved but it's absolutely worth trying. It's tough to lose a rescue too, if it comes to that, but the benefit far outweighs the negative. You don't need to go so far as to get a sick rescue, but if there is one who needs a good home and you're able to provide it, I say go for it. They don't act as a replacement by any means, but they do fill a hole and it's a new adventure every time.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I caved and adopted a bouncing baby boy!!! Actually he's a giant 5 year old spoiled monster and I'm already in love with him. He's HUGE!! The photos did him no justice, he's a beast. Seems very healthy so far except a little spot on his tail the scales are raised. Looks like either it got **** in something or retained shed. I tried to take a photo but it didn't quite show. Is it ok to put some neosporin or triple antibiotic ointment on it?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
:blob8: Happy new home for the big guy! Can you post some photos of it? Could just be gunk or retained shed that will come free after some soaks in a nice warm bath with some mild baby soap.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I tried to get a photo but it doesn't convey clearly. I'll try to get a better one though! The shed came off (he looks to be starting a shed cycle with only his tail coming loose so far) on his tail during a good warm soak and gentle toothbrush massage. When the shed came loose the actual scales are raised. Doesn't seem to bother him but the skin underneath is dark. Gimme a bit and I'll try to get a photo!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Looks like a ring that is about to shed again. The raised scales may be swelling to help the shed along. It doesn't look concerning to me at the moment.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Cool so best case scenario it's a small double shed. Not best case what am I looking at and what should I be looking out for?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't see anything to indicate it's not a shed. The ring of light scales is a pretty good giveaway. If you want to look for worst case, keep an eye out for scabbing or open wounds, constriction that looks like it might cut off circulation to the base of the tail, and things along those lines. A little swelling around a shed area is pretty normal though.

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'll just keep him well hydrated and assume it's a secondary shed. His big fat tail is just so darn beautiful I don't want anything to happen to it lol

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I am so glad you made the decision to help another dragon!

I read the title and was all prepared to come here saying "do it asap" but you beat me to the punch!
I lost Simon on 5/4 and brought home Alucard the same day, even though I was grieving incredibly hard and still am (I can't even think about it or look at photos of Simon without tears), but seeing the enclosure lit and busy made it a lot easier. I had Richter as well, so I was never without a dragon, but my empty tank syndrome was terrible.

I don't want to say I regret getting Alucard when I wasn't emotionally ready because I can't say how not getting her would have made me. It immediately gave me something to focus on, getting her all situated and fed, taking pics, weighing her, measuring her, etc, and helped my mind break focus from grief, even for minutes at a time.

I'd love to see some more photos of your big guy!

Zombiepanda

Juvie Member
Original Poster
It was the same here. Seeing the tank all together and just sitting there made me so sad. I practically started stalking the poor animals at petsmart and petco. I harassed the heck out of the employees too. I just can't see why anyone wouldn't want him!! He's magnificent. I miss Mags and cared about her, but she never had a great disposition. She hated being held and tried to bite me and was aggressive a majority of the time. Granted I think now it was because she had chronic health problems from birth.

I can't get my photo to load, I'll try again later. But I just weighed him and he's 20" and 558g. He's a spoiled beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom