EMERGENCY

Status
Not open for further replies.

dico

plz help nour beardie seems really sick i dont know wat to do is very slugish not resonding much at all then every so oftern maybe every couple mins takes a massive deep breath and thts it looked as far down his throat to check if choking but cant see anything wife is in tears at mo and we dont know wats happening.. temos in tank havent changed at all over the 2 yrs we had him he been recently been losing weight but we put tht down to him being over weight and switching to veg (vet agreed) any advice plz help tried bathing him in warm water to get him to respond but nothing

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
OK, take a deep breath, and answer these questions. They will help us try to help you and your beardie. I know it's scary for a beloved pet to be really sick, but we need info to go on!

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb?
Are you using any kind of night time heat source (colored bulb, ceramic heat emitter, etc)?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bath your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?

dico

Original Poster
unfortunately after taking him to the vets he died on the way :( the vet said when he was taking deep breaths jus before thats a last ditch thing jus before they die will be doing a check tomoz to hopefully find out the cause jus incase was somthing we did (although everything seemed ok with hab and feeding when posted about him losing weight before) the vet said she wasnt concerned when she saw him (she has alot of experence with them) jus before xmas but to keep an eye on him, he went down hill so fast there was nothing anyone could do :(

thanx for taking time to get back to me sorry was a bit of a frantic post as wife was bit distraught

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry for your loss. :cry: It is devastating to lose a precious dragon.
Yes, those breaths are agonal breaths when the body is shutting down, unfortunately & very difficult to have to go through with them.

Tracie

dico

Original Poster
thanks so much for all your replys means alot to my wife and i, turns out there was nothing anyone could do even had we found out what was wrong when we took him to vets before xmas the vet says there was nothing they could have done :( turns out was liver faiure caused by being riddled with tumors :(

i guess only gd that came from this is not anything we did sounds, real selfish :? but atleast our other dragon is in the clear (well apart from gout)

thanks again for your help and messages

dave, sara & puff

Oki05

Gray-bearded Member
that sucks well at least he's in a better place. Being on this site I learned beardies can hide illness well until its to late

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tlpowell718
Top Bottom