Eggs coming--have concerns!

Status
Not open for further replies.

annlizardlover97

Hatchling Member
A month ago one of my females lay eggs while I was out of town. Got news my mom was in hospital, turned out to be pancreatic cancer so I was gone for much longer than I thot. My neighbor was looking after my 13 dragons, 3 Uromastyx & dog. When I got home 10 days later, Miss Fatty had laid eggs and they were crushed to smithereens all over her cage. I wasn't aware she was gravid & my neighbor didn't no any better. Unfortunately I lost all the eggs. I raised Miss Fatty (so named due to her humongous egg & her size in general) from a huge clutch Bo, her mom, laid 4 yrs ago so I've done this once b4. Four days ago Fatty started digging AGAIN. Now she's absolutely frantic! I've made a nest & fixed the incubator so it's ready to go. What I don't get is why is she laying again, a month later? I no they can lay several clutches but thot they'd b days, not weeks apart. I KNOW 4 a fact she's not mated again! Been very careful w/ that. So can they store sperm for awhile & keep laying on & on or what? I can see the lumps in her belly so I know this is laying behavior. Also, how long can they dig for? She is exhausted but just keeps digging, will stop to rest & then start back, will barely touch her food either. She's obsessed! It's been four days so how much longer can this go on? I've not slept in 2 nites -- was up w/ her & thinking she might lay at nite. When Bo lay eggs 4 yrs ago, as soon as I put her in the nest, the eggs came on but this is a little ridiculous! I feel like I'm waiting outside the labor room for days waiting for the birth!

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Most clutches are 2-6 weeks apart :) My girl laid her second clutch 5 weeks after her first. So you have her in a nesting box digging? As long as she's happy with her nesting box she should lay them any day, usually in the evening. As long as she's still digging, you're good, if she stops digging and starts acting lethargic and tired then you may have issues like egg binding. A nice warm bath can help a lot :)

annlizardlover97

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
A little update here. I finally got some sleep last PM but woke at 6AM to find Miss Fatty dead asleep too. I guess she finally wore herself out. I know she'll b up soon & resume digging but am SO glad 4 her she got some rest. Thx 4 advice Coliosis -- will try the warm bath thing today if things don't progress. Am thinking she's happy w/ her nest since she's constantly digging. Btw, u have some of the most beautiful babies I've ever seen! I can only hope & pray mine turn out as well as urs...they are so sweet it brot tears to my eyes just looking @ ur pics :lol:

Coliosis

Juvie Member
Aww thanks :) My little guys are just as sweet as they look too!

Good to hear you BOTH got some rest lol Is her dig box nice and warm and deep enough? Also damp enough so she can make a tunnel without it continuously collapsing on her? lol

annlizardlover97

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Yes to all ur questions I believe. Unfortunately my car was recently stolen & it's like I'm on house arrest or sumthing! (am home all day anyway due to being disabled with fibromyalgia) but anyway the point is I've had to improvise a LOT w/o a way to run out & get things I need. Her nest box is filled about 6-7" with a mix of potting soil & sand which I dampened & mixed. It is holding its shape pretty well as she's digging. I can see she has a tunnel started and is progressing inwards so that looks good. When Bo laid her 55 or so clutch 4 yrs ago all I used was sand which kept collapsing but she didn't care & laid 'em anyway. Fatty seems to be pickier than Bo was and it's taken her awhile to get her perfect spot! It took her 4ever but I think she's on her way now. She's digging profusely & I know the rest she got last PM helped her tremendously. This AM I offered her greens which she ate like a horse (wudnt touch any food yesterday) and took her out for a 10-min warm soak & she drank lots of water. I didnt let her over drink tho for fear of her getting sick. But with the rest, and food/water replenishment she's definitely got more energy and looks happier so I'm thinking, now its Day 5 since digging started that today might b the day! Her nesting cage is warm, has an under tank heater on bottom of one side & I put heat lamp over top of other side so both sides will b warm enuff. If this is wrong or it sounds to u like I need to change anything let me know! I've got a homemade incubator set up, same as I did for Bo's babies, with brick on bottom of cage, water with aquarium heater in it up to top of bricks & then will set plastic container filld with vermiculite & eggs on top of that. Towels for top. Is that ok? Worked great last time and like I sed I'm having to improvise since I have no way of getting out anywhere. My neighbor took pity on me yesterday & went to get the vermiculite for me. Thx 4 ur help & good luck with those gorgeous babies or urs!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom