Egg laying weeks apart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damieboo

Hatchling Member
My 5 year old female Damien just started laying eggs for the first time back in April, she laid a total of 2, the 2nd was 2 days from the first. She laid both of them in her tank, refusing to use the lay box I made. She stopped eating totally before then, and then resumed eating here and there. Up till now, she stopped eating completely 4 days ago. And I just found her laying eggs behind her hide. She passed a big normal looking one so far, and is straining to pass another. Is this normal? That's more than a month ago from the last 2 eggs. Because of her eating habits and behavior (running around like a psycho), I feel like she may have been carrying eggs this entire time. Shouldn't she have laid them all together within the course of a few weeks? I'm also kinda worried because she likes to jump off furniture and has landed on her belly quite a few times since April...She strains pretty hard and long to pass each egg it seems, not sure if that's normal or not. I'm just kinda shocked that after 5 years, she's laying eggs and in such a weird way. Should I just let her be? I did take her to the vet in March for xrays and we didn't see eggs back then. And they didn't want to give her meds or do anything because they don't have anyone specialized in reptile care, so I don't really have anywhere to go to check her out who can give me answers.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh my, poor Damie + her mom ! Sometimes the way they go through the egg laying process just doesn't seem to make sense + leaves us wondering. If she's laying then let her do her thing. If she's not sickly she should be able to get through this. It would be ideal if you had an expert vet but you'll have to wing it between the advice givers here and your local vet. Please update on this situation as you can. :)

Damieboo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
She laid a total of 2 yesterday and spent an hour "burying" them before coming out from behind her hind and eating a little food. However today she was glass dancing as soon as her light was on, so I let her out and she immediately has a bowel movement...with a small egg inside. Egg didn't seem fully formed, it was flattish and a little pink. Almost broke apart when I cleaned it up. What little I could dig up suggests passing eggs with bowel movements might indicate an egg bound female? Is that true? Her belly is the only thing that's looked kind of plump since she lost all that weight but there's no lumps and I feel her every day and can't feel any hard spots. She has a suitable laying box, she just refuses to stay in it for more than a couple seconds. I've tried different spots around the house, using a heat lamp vs no lamp, dry dirt vs wet dirt, she doesn't care. :/

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, poor girl ! But it's a good sign that she ate a bit and is active. Passing an egg with a b.m is not necessarily a sign of ill health, some beardies do, including mine in the past. If you'd feel safer having an X-ray taken it will show any shelled eggs but usually no follicles....an ultrasound will show follicles. Again, the fact that she's active is a good sign....if she becomes extremely lethargic then it's time to get her to a vet for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom