Edited title: Not actually an emergency like I thought, just thought I made a mistake as a result of ignorance but all is well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikachu

Beardie name(s)
Emmett
So my beardie Emmett is about 2 years old and I'm fairly new to this whole thing since I just got him a couple weeks ago and unfortunately his femoral pores are clogged. I have an appointment on Monday for him to be seen by a vet to get them un-clogged but prior to calling a vet I tried to remove them using warm baths and a soft toothbrush. Using that I did manage to get a couple out and through research on the topic I saw people recommending using neosporin to prevent infection, but they conveniently left out the fact that the pain relieving kind can be toxic to reptiles, or I unfortunately missed that part. I put the neosporin on 2 or 3 days ago and he seems completely fine, no vomiting or anything of the sort, definitely still eating since he ate all of the superworms I gave him the next day, but now that I've found out the toxicity I'm super worried about him.

Raikachu

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Emmett
So my beardie Emmett is about 2 years old and I'm fairly new to this whole thing since I just got him a couple weeks ago and unfortunately his femoral pores are clogged. I have an appointment on Monday for him to be seen by a vet to get them un-clogged but prior to calling a vet I tried to remove them using warm baths and a soft toothbrush. Using that I did manage to get a couple out and through research on the topic I saw people recommending using neosporin to prevent infection, but they conveniently left out the fact that the pain relieving kind can be toxic to reptiles, or I unfortunately missed that part. I put the neosporin on 2 or 3 days ago and he seems completely fine, no vomiting or anything of the sort, definitely still eating since he ate all of the superworms I gave him the next day, but now that I've found out the toxicity I'm super worried about him.
Nevermind, sorry for the possible sudden heart attack in some of you that may read this but it's 2 am and I gave myself my own heart attack. The neosporin I grabbed was luckily actually the original kind that does not have the pain reliever compound which I believe is the Pramoxine HCl. If someone could confirm that that is the pain relieving compound that would be helpful as the kind I have does not have that, but what I gave him is specifically original neosporin. This is what I get for being on the internet at 2 am; poor sleep and a self inflicted emotional heart attack.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

We have all been in a similar situation, because we all worry about our dragons! No problem at all. I am glad that the neosporin ended
up not having any pain reliever in it. Is your boy doing ok now?
Try to get some sleep & we are always here, some of us at more crazy hours, than others...

Tracie

Raikachu

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Emmett
Hello,

We have all been in a similar situation, because we all worry about our dragons! No problem at all. I am glad that the neosporin ended
up not having any pain reliever in it. Is your boy doing ok now?
Try to get some sleep & we are always here, some of us at more crazy hours, than others...

Tracie
He still seems to be alright. I've been keeping an eye on his legs and those seem okay too aside from the clogged pores. Right now he's just staring at me from where his food bowl is lol. He was originally sleeping on his hammock but I just woke him up. Although he has been doing this thing the past couple mornings where he flexes out his beard and jerks back a bit. Any ideas what that could be?

smaugthebeardie3756

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Smaug
He still seems to be alright. I've been keeping an eye on his legs and those seem okay too aside from the clogged pores. Right now he's just staring at me from where his food bowl is lol. He was originally sleeping on his hammock but I just woke him up. Although he has been doing this thing the past couple mornings where he flexes out his beard and jerks back a bit. Any ideas what that could be?
Morning stretches or he could possibly be getting ready for a shed. They will do that to loosen it.

Raikachu

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Emmett
Morning stretches or he could possibly be getting ready for a shed. They will do that to loosen it.
I saw another thread saying the same thing about a similar concern. He is definitely shedding right now though lol. Still has most of his belly covered in shed along with part of his head. I've been a bit worried about it but after seeing that other thread and getting your response I'm more at ease. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom