Eating less, pooping infrequently

Status
Not open for further replies.

jducky18

Hatchling Member
Before I launch into a description of my problem, I'm going to list my viv specs:

4x2x18 homemade enclosure
Tile Floors
Reptisun 10.0
Clear household heat bulb
temps: 70 at the coldest spot (sorry, I don't have a second lamp to heat the cool side of the tank)
100-125 right under the bulb
82-85 on the far sides of the platform
Food: 1/4-1/2 inch dubia

My beardie just turned 1 year old in August, I bought him at an expo.
He was checked for parasites in July, and treated for them then.

So, now for my issue. As you can assume from the subject, my beardie has started eating a lot less and pooping very infrequently. I've had to move him around a lot because I moved into an apartment and I take him back to my parents house if I have to be away from the city for more than a day or so.
For a while he was fine, eating a lot and pooping every couple days or so, but then he started pooping only once a week. At first I thought it was because my UV light was just about hitting the 6-month mark, and so I changed it on Monday (today is Saturday). In the past two weeks, my beardie has started eating less and less. I've been offering kale and other vegetables, but he won't eat them.

I can't tell if this is something I should be overly worried about, but I just wanted to get your opinions to see what I should do.

I think it is also poignant to mention that I spend quite a bit of time away from my apartment for classes and work, some days I might be gone for 14 hours, so I try to get him out and running around as often as possible. The last few times I've taken him out, he tries to hide under my baseboard heating vents and take a nap...

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Its that time of year where they slow down. There is an article on here about brumation. Lots of good information. Its under top content.

jducky18

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh good. I was getting concerned. But I thought that 1 year old was still too young to brumate...? I've read that article, but I'll read it again. Thank you! I was really nervous that maybe he ate a hair or something else equally horrifying and it was making him sick. I'm glad to know it's probably just the weather/season.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Yeah he maybe semi brumating and at a year they usually slow down on eating and pooping. But mine does the same thing this time of year. As long as she doesnt loose weight should be fine :D

Sauzo

Sub-Adult Member
Mine does the same thing and she's just over 7 months old. She only eats around 10 appropriate sized dubia and about a 1/4 of a leaf of collard greens a day and poops every other day. It's that time of the season. As destiny said, just make sure he doesn't start losing weight and keep offering him food daily and giving him the right heat and baths and you should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom