Easier to Handle as They Get Older?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrightStar

Hatchling Member
My first bearded dragon, Rygel, took to cuddles very quickly, we had nightly cuddles every day from the day I got him, to the day before he died. He was totally laid back and loved to chill on me for hours. My current baby, Walter, is the absolute opposite. He constantly wants to be away and exploring. Even when I try handling him right before his lights are off, he’s still super hyper and won’t sit still for a minute. I tried a beardie burrito and he hated it.

They do settle down as they get older. Even Rygel, who loved his nighttime snuggles, would squirm a lot if I held him in the day. Because he cuddled at night, this didn’t bother me so much, because I still felt like I got good bonding tIme with him before bed. As Rygel got older, he calmed down a lot and liked his cuddles any time of the day or night. But with Walter, it has been difficult for me sometimes to feel that bond developing as I don’t get to spend much time with him when he just wants to be off all the time.

A few things I’ve learned with Walter-

Pay attention to how they like to be held. Walter definitely squirms more depending on how I’m holding him.

Offer regular treats by hand in the cage. It helps them get used to your hand moving around them and teaches them to associate you with good things.

If you feel comfortable, try “exploring” the house whilst holding Figment. I walk around the room a lot holding Walter, so he can see everything he’s interested in. I take him over to the window to look outside, and generally just circle around the room showing him everything and anything.

Offer a hide place - today I showed Walter that he could wriggle under my chin if he got scared, or make a cave with your hands so they can hide. Walter appreciated this when I first startled handling him and today he burrowed under my chin when he got anxious. I try never to let Walter leave my hands, so I can quickly get control of him if he tries to run.

Keep handling sessions short and positive. End on a good note, offer a treat from time to time and try to get a quick head rub or chin rub when handling is over. I try to ensure handling sessions occur several times a day, last only a few minutes, and Walter is only returned to his cage when he’s calm. This also includes me not releasing him from my hands onto his basking log until he is calm As he is put back in the cage. They are smart enough to learn bad habits, so be sure to show them the behavior you want. I also try to add several non handling sessions in to the day where I stop by just to look in on my baby, pet his beard or offer a treat. I also make it a point to stand closely with cage door open and talk to him whilst he’s having his breakfast so he gets used to seeing me around and kinda learns that if he wants to eat breakfast, he has to be less watchful of me and learns I won’t hurt him.

If you’re anxious about Figment jumping when handling him, hold him in the cage until you feel comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meljorogers
Top Bottom