earthworms as a calcium source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starforce2

Juvie Member
I was reading care on mountain horned lizzards, one of the possible pets on my list to get, and it said earthworms can be given as a source of calcium every few days. Now, these are tree lizzards, so would I also be able to use this same method for a crested gecko? I assume ok for a pacman frog as well since earthworms are generaly a natural food source for ground frogs and toads anyways, correct? Is the calcium part even true?

diggerdrake

Juvie Member
I would be concerned about parasites more than anything. A good worm for a source of calcium is the phoenix worms. Although a bit small and expensive they are a great feeder.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
If your dealing with farm raised anything the chance of parasites goes wayyyyyyyyyy down but never gone entirley. think of all the dragons that have gotten pinworms from crix. As far as calcium content goes, I just dont know. I would try google and see what you can find.

GoFast

Gray-bearded Member
I think the most important thing to consider when using any feeder is where did it come from. We had a newer member lose his dragon after eating an earthworm and tons of people alll of the sudden assumed earthworms are deadly for dragons. Later on, we found out that he found the earthworm in his yard and was probably loaded with fertilizer and pesticides. So if you want to use an earthworm as a feeder, just make sure it isn't loaded with the bad stuff.

Or, as I like to do, err on the side of caution and just stick to the basics. There is no need for the average bearded dragon owner to push the envelope and try new things when there are so many tried and true methods and feeders available.

Starforce2

Juvie Member
Original Poster
It's not for the dragon anyways. It'd be for other reptiles I might get. Such as the mountian horned lizzard or crested gecko. They live in similar environments, and the worm is recommended as a calcium source. I was just curious if it actualy was or not.

ThyDemise

Hatchling Member
speaking for cresteds, from my understanding, earthworms are similar to phoenix worms in the sense that due to their calcium levels no extra supplementation is needed. coupled with a balanced diet, like the cgd, earthworms would be a fine live feeder a few times a week (just the same as a dusted roach would be). certainly not as a sole diet tho. i keep earthworms in my planted tanks and if anything, it sure keeps the cresteds entertained when they see one poke there head up :lol: . i know very little about mt horned dragons so im of no help there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom