Eardrums didn't shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Damieboo

Hatchling Member
My 5 year old female Damien just had a full body shed a few weeks ago. Problem is her ear drums won't come off. On one side, all the skin around the eardrum came off except the drum itself and I can't get a hold of the shed even if it was ready to come off. It's like it's bonded to her skin. Same on the other side, there's still some shed stuck on the outside of the ear but the eardrum just won't separate. It's been like this for about 2 weeks now. Afraid to pull on it because her eardrum is delicate. Is there anything I can do or should I just leave it for the next shed?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, you can just leave it and it will eventually come off. Do you know the humidity level in her tank ? Sometimes if it's low they have a bit of a harder time shedding. You can compensate by spritzing her in the tank once or twice a day, this raises the humidity just a bit for a short time and helps in shedding. Contrary to the myth that all spraying is bad, it actually helps them to shed and for babies is a great way to keep them hydrated. I've sprayed/spritzed every clutch I ever raised. Of course you don't spray the entire tank or leave puddles on the floor, [ any water that pools gets mopped right up ] that's where the humidity then can cause a problem.

Damieboo

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hmm actually it's been more humid than usual :/ Where I live (Arizona), we're experiencing the monsoon season so humidity has been in the upper 30s outside which bumps our indoor humidity to about 50%. Ordinarily it's 30% inside and 10% outside. I thought maybe that was contributing to her stuck eardrums. I usually give her a mini shower with my showerhead in the tub but didn't do it this week due to the higher humidity but maybe it'll help loosen something up.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, an extra bath or two should help out as that area sometimes is more stubborn. You definitely do not want to pull it off as that area is very delicate & don't want to hurt the eardrum area.
Did the rest of her shed without any problems then?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom