Dying Lizard :/

Status
Not open for further replies.

daggerz

Original Poster
diamc":a112c said:
It's possible that he may have an eye infection that he needs an antibiotic for so contacting your vet would be a good idea to see what he thinks. Do you have a UVB light on now?

That's good that he ate some worms on his own and also moving around more. Are they super worms or horn worms?

We have him on antibiotics for his infections (the vet said it'd help both his respiratory infection and eye infection), but it seems like it's doing nothing for his eye. I have his light on now, yes. But the box says it provides beneficial UVA rays, so then that means it's not a UVB light? I don't know what kind they are. They're big and squishy. The bucket they're in says they are wax worms. It's been over a week, should we stop tube feeding him?

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
That's great news, I'm so glad he's eating. I agree with Diane, about contacting the vet, may need that antibiodic, also I wouldn't rub his eyes, especially with that film/lid that's in place, but it's definately something for the vet to be involved.
It's so nice to see steady, even though it's slow, improvement. Kudo's to you! 8)

daggerz

Original Poster
Hm... We'll try to call the vet tomorrow.
Should I stop putting saline on it?
And what about the tube feeding? Do we need to stop?
It's thanks to you guys that we were able to get him healthier. :)
Again, thank you all very much!

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
daggerz":a17ce said:
Hm... We'll try to call the vet tomorrow.
Should I stop putting saline on it?
And what about the tube feeding? Do we need to stop?
It's thanks to you guys that we were able to get him healthier. :)
Again, thank you all very much!

Your welcome! I'm glad that your calling the vet, I think it's alright to use the saline til you get in touch with the vet, just don't rub the area. But please call them, and ask about it, ie: antibiodic vs saline, plus the continuance of the tube feeding. Let the vet know how he's beginning to eat on his own, and whether or not he is able to lick the baby food for back-up. You may still have to give him fluids though, (with a dropper) if they say to stop the tube feeding, to maintain hydration. All these questions can be addressed since your calling them anyways, about his eyes.
You've done all the work, and have been very receptive to his care, that's what really counts. Keep in touch.

BTW, what is your beardies name?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree with Christine about discussing all your concerns with the vet. I don't think you should rub his eyes at all. If his eye is matted shut, you could just take a washcloth with warm water on it and lay it on his closed eye for a minute but I wouldn't put the washcloth directly on his inner eyelids. It does sound like he needs an ointment for the eye condition. Please let us know what the vet says. Might be a good idea to write your questions/concerns down before you talk to him so you don't forget anything.

Do you have a UVB on order? If so, which one are you getting, the Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent? Not sure if we asked this, but is your basking bulb a white one?

daggerz

Original Poster
@ beardie osk: His name is Spike.

@ diamc: That's what I'm doing: putting warm water on a soft washcloth and holding it on his eye. I'm not as concerned with his inner eyelid, just the outter one because it keeps getting glued shut by the infection.

Right now we're calling a guy who used to work at a bearded dragon ranch. I'm not sure what it's called, but it's one of the best places to get a bearded dragon, from what we've heard.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok, that's good then that you're just holding the warmed washcloth over it, I was afraid that you were rubbing it on the inner eye and I don't feel that would be a good thing.

Weren't you able to reach the vet that prescribed the other meds?

flojomojo

I agree with spurlee. The crickets are probably chewing on him and causing him discomfort. Also, a 10gallon tank you said? That's way too small for him. He needs to have room to move and play. Also, please check the temperature in his tank. I have a 75 watt bulb in his basking area and a uvb light on the other side that stays on during the day. Also, greens are very important for them, because it keeps them moisturized. I just give mine lettuce with a little dusting of vitamins. He might also be impacted. How big are the crickets you're giving him? I had that problem before because I was giving him crickets that were too big for him. And the substrate should be carpet or something along those lines. But please get him a bigger tank when he gets bigger, or buid him one.
I hope he feels better.

daggerz

Original Poster
What is the normal amount of worms to feed Spike? I'm not sure if we're feeding him too much or too little.
He's still getting better; he's opening his bad eye a lot more, he's going to the bathroom normally, and he's walking around a lot. We had him on the table last night so we could feed him and he kept trying to walk off of the table! He's also putting up a fight whenever we touch his head/mouth because he doesn't want us to tube feed him (which we've stopped). :roll:
We (again) thank you all for your help! I can't thank you guys enough! :p

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
What kind of worms are they? I know Spike is an adult, (who usually don't get high protein) but depending on what kind of worms they are, I'd feed him just a few, more frequently, than to give him a whole bunch all at once. You want to make sure he's well enough for alot of protein right now.

He probably doesn't have depth perception right now because of his eye infections, so he may fall off the table, I'd have a good hold on him for a while, even those who's eye sight is good, but are a little feisty, can't be trusted at times.

I'm so glad Spike is improving, you have done such a great job of caring for him, keep us posted, please.

daggerz

Original Poster
beardie osk":2d54d said:
What kind of worms are they? I know Spike is an adult, (who usually don't get high protein) but depending on what kind of worms they are, I'd feed him just a few, more frequently, than to give him a whole bunch all at once. You want to make sure he's well enough for alot of protein right now.

He probably doesn't have depth perception right now because of his eye infections, so he may fall off the table, I'd have a good hold on him for a while, even those who's eye sight is good, but are a little feisty, can't be trusted at times.

I'm so glad Spike is improving, you have done such a great job of caring for him, keep us posted, please.

They are waxworms. I'm not sure if it's considered an adult, but we sat down and tried to figure out how old he was, and we figured he's about 1 year/ 1 1/2 years, not 2 yet. :/

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Hi ! 3-5 will be fine, since they are only a treat, yes ? So every few days, no more than twice a week, go ahead and offer those.
Janie.
Glad to hear that spike is coming around ! Isn't that marvelous !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smallfry_Zoey
Top Bottom