Dying dragon, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dylanravenj

Sub-Adult Member
Hello all, I haven't had the time to frequent this forum anymore but I am now begging for your guys' help.

For the last month or so my four year old male, Trey, has been eating much less than he usually does. I figured it was just brumation so I wasn't worried. However, now he has lost weight to the point where his fat pads on his head have sunk in a little. That is very concerning to me. Now I feel a circular lump in his lower left stomach. I'm not sure if it's an impaction as it feels like an almost perfect circle. Any ideas of what it could be? I would take him to the vet however the exotic vet in our area is basically clueless about reptiles and I don't trust them.

He is kept In a 40 gallon,
Newspaper
Repti sun 10.0 fluorescent
102-108 basking spot
Diet consisted of supers, hornworms, roaches, collard greens, mustard greens, dandelion greens

Any help is appreciated this animal is like my child I would be devistated if I lost him

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Dylan....hopefully it's not actually serious. :( Can you post a few pics of Trey ? I want to mention too that it's possible that what you're feeling is just his organs. And even though you don't like this vet, really the only way to be sure that Trey doesn't have a mass growing is to have X-rays or ultrasound done. But again, hopefully it's just part of his anatomy that you're feeling. And most adult beardies don't develop impactions for no reason, there would have been something to cause it and it would cause severe distress after a while and he would be straining to poo.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, Trey shouldn't have an impaction unless he ate before going into brumation & didn't digest everything fully.
Hopefully it is just an organ that you are feeling & not a mass of any kind. An x-ray or ultrasound would be helpful. I know it's frustrating when you don't have much confidence in the vet's knowledge.
Since his fat pads have started to sink in some, I recommend starting to get some oral fluids into him & some baby food or critical care also to help get his weight stabilized.

PIctures would be great if you can get them.

Tracie

mycamo

He is preety old so it just might be his time... Sorry just always know he will be in a better place and always in your heart.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
mycamo":3uy31bv4 said:
He is preety old so it just might be his time... Sorry just always know he will be in a better place and always in your heart.
Actually, 4 yrs old isn't old at all.

dylanravenj, you have been given some great advice. Please keep us updated on him and hope he improves very soon.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is he doing today? Please keep us posted on him. I hope you are able to get some food & fluids into him.

Tracie

God this sounds like what happened to my first beardy. Is this a female bearded dragon? If so it may be a ovarian tumor. I know it's really strange.. But my first beardy had one. I gave her laxatives thinking it was a impaction, had X-rays for egg impacion, and finally they did exploratory surgery. Turns out she had a massive tumor pressing her stomach so she always felt full, hence the lack of eating and extreme weight loss. She died after the removal sadly..once they are so weak the surgery can be fatal.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Any updates for us, how is he doing? Did you get him to the vets for x-rays & a check up?
I hope he is doing better.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SherlockMommy
Top Bottom