Dubias okay for a young beardie?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beardiesforthewin72

Sub-Adult Member
So my little Charmander is about 5 months old give or take a few and she's been eating me out of house and home! I was think of starting s Dubai colony after reading how easy it is to breed them I just wanted to make sure she could in fact eat them. I would say she's about 6-8 inches can anyone help!

r35gtr

they are fine, but the problem is if they will eat them or not. I hear that most people's bd on here do love to eat dubias but some, like mine, pref. other feeders.

If you're starting a dubia colony, why not start a colony of supers and meals as well? They are very easy, and over time you will be over populated with feeders that you might not spend a single dime for another one (except for veggies). They occupy very little space and they are great feeders too. Not only would they be a great addition, it'll give your guy some variety for when he becomes picky.

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
Don't bother breeding mealworms for your beardie, they're not a good feeder (too much chitin, not enough actual nutrition, and could cause impaction). Dubia are extremely easy to breed. Superworms shouldn't be fed until the beardie is about 16" long, because they can also cause impaction. I would say if you want to start breeding anything, go with dubia at first. If your beardie likes them, there's no reason to start breeding other feeders as well (unless you plan to sell them).

Beardiesforthewin72

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I was always told on this site that the meal worms were bad but I was told by my pet store owner that they needed a hard worm as well as soft worms to balance the digestive system. She's very knoweledgable about beardies and her husband more so than her. So I guess the question would be if I can't use meal worms then what's a good choice for a hard worm.

Jess

Extreme Poster
They don't necessarily need a hard worm. Not sure where she got that idea from.

Micro superworms would be OK to feed, but she doesn't absolutely need them or anything. I prefer to use them as more of a treat, because they can be really fattening and addictive. I have a dubia colony that I use as a staple for my beardie and leopard geckos.

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
Beardiesforthewin72":ljhe15tn said:
I was always told on this site that the meal worms were bad but I was told by my pet store owner that they needed a hard worm as well as soft worms to balance the digestive system. She's very knoweledgable about beardies and her husband more so than her. So I guess the question would be if I can't use meal worms then what's a good choice for a hard worm.

I've never heard that before. Interesting. But if she and her husband are the only people who you've heard that from, I'd go with majority opinion. It's not worth the risk of impaction.

Buckmaster299

Hatchling Member
just my $0.02. After all the bad info i have been told by pet stores idk what i would trust unless you see them with full grown adult beardies running around that are healty. Again, this is just my opinion. I have just recently started my 4 or 5month old beardy and he/she absolutely loves them. Between that and the phoenix worms and the greens and the crickets i think she is doing pretty well. Maybe a little spoiled. LOL Another great benefit of the roaches, is they do not make any noise. Its so nice not hearing LOUD crickets all night now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom