Dubias Are ESCAPING!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike91383

Hatchling Member
So my wife went downstairs to our basement to do laundry and as she was putting laundry into the wash she noticed a baby dubias at the bottom of the laundry basket. She is freaking out! She is ok with them but doesn't want them to be running around in the house. We live in WI and it has been very warm. We live in an older house so we do get water in our basement. Is there anyway to keep the babies from not getting out? We have had them for more then 6 months, so there are a ton of babies. I was thinking some type of Vaseline at the rims... Please help before my wife bands all roaches in the house!

Glen

Are you keeping your dubias in a sterilite bin? Lots of people use packing tape or vaseline around the rim of it so that they can't climb up the sides. The really tiny ones can still climb the walls until they get to heavy, but none of them will get through packing tape or vaseline. Good luck!

spyder79

Extreme Poster
It is highly possible that one got out while you were in the tank for a feeding or cleaning. It is highly unlinkely that he escaped on his own. just saying.

clear

Sub-Adult Member
All roaches are escape artist, if a baby finds a small section it can climb, it will be out in no time!

dEEjHaY

Hatchling Member
So you just tape all around the rim? Do you mean put the sticky part up so if they climb up they get stuck to the tape? Or sticky side againts the bin?

DragonMomSandy

Gray-bearded Member
Sticky side against the bin, the slick side up. The babies/nymphs can't get a grip on the slick side of the tape. Put the tape all the way around the inside, about 3 to 4 inches from the top. Lance suggested I try this when I was setting up my bin for my first order of dubias, haven't had a single escapee!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom