Dubia vs Turkistan roaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikimom07

So I'm going to be starting a colony of roaches and saw that one site had Dubia's and Turkistans and was wondering the difference? All I've been reading about is Dubia but Turkistans seem cheaper? I'm new to all this but trying to be cost effective as well and give my beardies what they need and whats best. Right now they get crickets which I HATE! Along with some worms and their greens which they hardly touch at the moment. My girls about 7-8 inches long, not sure of age but they are quite active and alert and know the cricket bin when they see it. :lol:

dalem

I breed Turkistain roaches.I tried Dubia,but I didnt have the pacience to let them grow ,and breed on the other hand Turkistain roaches are egg laing machines it won't be long before they will be Mungogerries staple.There are a couple of differences in the to Dubia get bigger I think on Dubia to six crickets,and they are slow moving,and easier for your animal to catch on the other hand they are also called red runners,and they are smoking fast.Mungogerrie loves the Turkistains I feed her in a 30gal.aquarium I like to watch her chase them down,and to so far see doesnt seem dicourged when she misses from time to time.I also think as far as size goes Turkistains are about 3 crickets to on Turkistain.I hope this helps there are probably more knolagable folks on this site to enlighten you further.

Gail

BD.org Addict
dalem pretty much summed it up. Turkistans lay egg cases so when you clean their tub, you don't want to throw them out. I put all the poo and garbage in a small tub so I can separate the babies once they hatch. They are fast, really fast but they grow fast and are soft. I like them for babies/juvie dragons and my tarantulas.

Dubias give live birth which is a bit more convenient. They get quite big, are slow and easy to handle. They are good for adult dragons or ones that like to be hand fed.

mikimom07

Original Poster
Thanks for the great info! My one last question is if they are so fast how do I catch them? With crickets I just grab one of the rolls of empty to and shake and then scoop out what they don't eat. Would it be the same?

Gail

BD.org Addict
Thats how I do it. I have a deep bowl I just shake the runners into then I pull out the adults or who ever is too big to feed off.

wendytx

What do you guy use to feed your Turkistan? I got some newly hatched because the bigger ones were all sold out.
It seems like they drown themselves in oranges and grapes. I am now trying to use carrots, apple and oatmeal. I don't think water crystal will work on those babies...they might drown too.

ash0587

Hatchling Member
I haven't had turkistans but maybe you could do the water crystals but only let them soak for a short amount of time so they stay small, at least until your roaches stop drowning. good luck on finding a solution!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom