Dubia Tanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grimleo

Juvie Member
I was wondering if I could see, or if anyone could explain their dubia roach setups to me. I am having problems with keeping the temperatures up in my roach bin. I have a 60 watt heat lamp on the top of the bin, with a 7x7 cutout with a mesh screen covering it, and a reptile heat pad from petco on the underside. I have a wash cloth I keep inside for humidity that I clean and warm up every morning also as it's very dry here. I had one or two die off while while molting and that is why I had to add the cloth. I am only getting the temperatures up to about 82 in the day and 78 ish at night. I know this is tolerable for them but it's not very good for breeding is it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Triage

Hatchling Member
Hey Corey,

I used to use a CHE on the top like you, but I used 100-150 watt I think. I had to put two small pieces of scrap lumber on top to sit the edge of the dome fixture on, or it would melt but that's how I did it until I built a cabinet. Now I keep the dubia tote inside of a plywood cabinet that I made and it sits on a human heating pad. My temps are around 95 with this setup and this went all winter here in Virginia in my garage. My garage is heated, but its still a garage...ambient room temperature was around 68.

As for adding more humidity, I would take out the washcloth. Get yourself a little margarine bowl, or something similiar....fill it with water, put the lid on it and poke some pin holes in the lid. If you place this on the bottom over your heat source it will add some more moisture in your bin.

Hope this helps.

Chris

Grimleo

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I need to get some pieces of lumber to put the heat emitter on, because I don't want it to melt x.x

I have a few questions, though...What setting is your human heating pad on? Would it ever melt the bin? Also do you know the little plastic mealworm containers that you get from petco, petsmart, etc? Would filling that with water and putting it in the bin be enough do you think? It already has little air holes in it.

By the way, thank you very much for the quick reply and great help. :)

Triage

Hatchling Member
I need to get some pieces of lumber to put the heat emitter on, because I don't want it to melt x.x

Yeah, it was not the safest, or cheapest or even most efficient way of heating the box (heat rises), but it worked until I figured out a cheaper way for me. (And there are all kinds, not just building a cabinet.)

I have a few questions, though...What setting is your human heating pad on? Would it ever melt the bin?

Mine is set at medium, but most people say they have it set on low. It is one that does not turn off. And I am not sure if it would ever melt the bin. There has been debate on here as to the safety of this method. But I think most people use this method. Someone once said that they are all UL rated, which makes them safe but I don't know for sure what that means. I guess I cant recommend any of this to you, just tell you my success or failure. The BEST solution I have heard on this site, but have not attempted is to use heating tape and a rheostat. But I went the cabinet route. :lol:

Also do you know the little plastic mealworm containers that you get from petco, petsmart, etc? Would filling that with water and putting it in the bin be enough do you think? It already has little air holes in it.

Right after I posted this, I pictured them all sitting on my bench at home and thought "Man, those would be even better." I didnt have any of those when I started my bin, so I have the same old butter container in there. :lol: So yes, I think that would work perfectly. Just make sure it doesn't tip over...and don't fill it...just maybe half. Then check your humidity after a day or two and then add another if need be.

By the way, thank you very much for the quick reply and great help. :)

No worries!

Grimleo

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I actually found an old heating pad I used to warm up my puppy during the winter, and it's boosting the bins temp up to 86 ish already. Whew, lol.

I added the mealworm cup and filled it halfway. I put it in the bin close to the middle, where it would get the most heat methinks. Let's hope my roaches like this idea :D

Thank you so much. You've been a great help. :)

moose9

Hatchling Member
When I was using human heating pads, I had them plugged into a thermostat set at 90F. Worked well. Now I just heat the room in winter cause I have so many roach bins. I always had the heating pad underneath on one side of bin. If you don't use a thermostat, you'll need to create a space between heating pad and roach bin to prevent overheating of pad.

As far as setting up your bin, I have a video on my website that shows a basic setup for B. dubia. I have a FAQ on site to you might reads through, very informative. If you have any other questions, just ask.

Video link for typical setup:
http://citrusxsandfire.webs.com/feeders.htm#385698732

-Greg

Grimleo

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you very much Greg. I watched the video and I at least got a great look at a good setup :) When I am not so sleepless and exhausted I will look over some of those faqs lol and I a msure I will find out a lot there. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom