Dubia Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
Do adult Dubia grow anymore? I have some males and females that look like they are at or slightly over 2". Then I have some adults that look like they are barely 1.5"
Does anyone think it is important to only keep the largest adults for breeding?

LQDragons

Juvie Member
I read some where, that you should introduce a new blood strane(sp?) to your colony every so often. Something about all the inbreeding making them get smaller as the generations go. I haven't tried it yet though, just something I've read on my beardy journey. :study: :study: :study: on the internet, of course. :)

patrickb

Juvie Member
I have read the same thing here and there, but there is no definitive proof inbreeding or genetics cause this. I think I saw once that someone mentioned they had some hisser adults that were significantly different in size, yet raised in the same container. That could be genetics, it could also be competition for food (less food would affect overall growth I would think) Still haven't seen any real experiments or results of those done to determine if this is something you could selectively breed or if it is a resource competition issue. Lot's of insects do vary in size in the wild even in the same species. I do suspect it is mainly a food source/climate issue, but that is only my belief. No scientific proof or research to back that up... :)

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
They probably come in different size much like crickets do. I have crickets that are huge and some a small.

Theroachguy

Juvie Member
Over the years I have heard both sides from very informative people. I have both huge adults and small one. I also have 7 bloodlines in my colonies. I do it just incase but not for sure if you know what I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom