Dubia salad anyone?

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I checked on him a bit ago, he's been eating his salad and rooting through it looking for more dubias. I might have to do this more often! Lol!
They are fairly sharp, he'll probably catch on at some point lol. My new girl will eat greens, but if i slice up blueberries she digs through and gets them all before she will touch salad or bugs 🐛

IAmAMirage

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mirage
They are fairly sharp, he'll probably catch on at some point lol. My new girl will eat greens, but if i slice up blueberries she digs through and gets them all before she will touch salad or bugs 🐛
Interesting! Mirage has shown no interest in fruit. We try to put soldier fly larve in his greens along with bee pollen to help stimulate his appitite, it doesn't really seem to help. We're trying to get him to eat more greens. We found some bearded dragon pellets, he seems to like those. (The pellets are dehydrated veggies) He also likes it when we blend together greens and a couple hornworms or superworms. We drip it on his snout and he laps it up. I'm worried he's not getting enough greens. The few things he does eat isn't the most healthy though. He really enjoys corn, carrots, and parsnips. Other than that he kinda ignores his salad and waits for me to feed him his bugs. Any tips on getting beardies to eat their greens? :)

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
Interesting! Mirage has shown no interest in fruit. We try to put soldier fly larve in his greens along with bee pollen to help stimulate his appitite, it doesn't really seem to help. We're trying to get him to eat more greens. We found some bearded dragon pellets, he seems to like those. (The pellets are dehydrated veggies) He also likes it when we blend together greens and a couple hornworms or superworms. We drip it on his snout and he laps it up. I'm worried he's not getting enough greens. The few things he does eat isn't the most healthy though. He really enjoys corn, carrots, and parsnips. Other than that he kinda ignores his salad and waits for me to feed him his bugs. Any tips on getting beardies to eat their greens? :)
My girl is eating her greens fine, she is two months old.
My boy is a little more challenging, he's 18 months and only eats his greens the day before bug day so I'm gonna reduce his bugs to once a week now and a max of three adult Dubias. I think with maturity his metabolism has slowed so much that twice a week as many as he wants just keeps him so full nowadays that he doesn't need/want any greens most days....

IAmAMirage

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mirage
My girl is eating her greens fine, she is two months old.
My boy is a little more challenging, he's 18 months and only eats his greens the day before bug day so I'm gonna reduce his bugs to once a week now and a max of three adult Dubias. I think with maturity his metabolism has slowed so much that twice a week as many as he wants just keeps him so full nowadays that he doesn't need/want any greens most days....
My boy is 5 years old (we think) I've cut his bugs down to twice a week, and offer a salad every day. Is there anything else I should be doing?

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
It's gonna be harder, the older they get but as mentioned I'd start by reducing the bugs. Adults can go a couple of weeks without bugs if need be and they won't starve in front of a full food bowl.
You can also (or additionally) try feeding glover or dandelion flowers.

IAmAMirage

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mirage
It's gonna be harder, the older they get but as mentioned I'd start by reducing the bugs. Adults can go a couple of weeks without bugs if need be and they won't starve in front of a full food bowl.
You can also (or additionally) try feeding glover or dandelion flowers.
I've tried feeding dandelion before and he's never shown interest. I spent some time with him, and doing a bit of research, and think he's going into brumation. I'll keep you updated.

IAmAMirage

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mirage
Mirage has offically entered brumation. Do you guys have any tips for when your beardie enters brumation? I'm a first time reptile owner, and have never experienced a reptile entering brumation. Thanks for your help guys!
@xp29
@Chris.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Mirage has offically entered brumation. Do you guys have any tips for when your beardie enters brumation? I'm a first time reptile owner, and have never experienced a reptile entering brumation. Thanks for your help guys!
@xp29
@Chris.
Shorten the lights time on during the day, let the habitat get a bit cooler at night, and bring him out every 3 weeks or so and offer water. Also if you have a food scale weigh him now and keep a log, weigh him every time you offer water, he should not loose much weight, if he does start loosing weight something is wrong and needs to be addressed asap.

Chris.

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Luis and Lilith
It might be a little strange at this time of the year but brumation is very natural and important for their health.
As mentioned gradually drop the temps and light hours down. For my boy I went down to 6h and 75°F but my vet suggested to drop the temps down to 65°F next time for better stimulation.
No feeding (they barely eat anyway if your temps are right) just water if he wakes.

As I said, don't fight him on this and try to wake him. He'll get a boost in overall energy, health and growth :)

IAmAMirage

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Mirage
Thank you guys so much for the help! I was doing some research and saw I'm not supposed to handle him? xp29 I see you said
bring him out every 3 weeks or so and offer water. Also if you have a food scale weigh him now and keep a log, weigh him every time you offer water,
Should I be taking him out to monitor him? Or am I just misunderstanding?

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom