Dubia roach colony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have mine set to 94 or 92. That way there is a good gradient from the bottom (hot) to the top. Gives the dubia a chance to pick their preferred temps.

Just use your digital probe too to make sure that the whole bin isn't getting too hot.

For instance, setting it to 94 keeps it quite warm, but it's already back down to mid 80s half way up the bin.
You'll just have to play with your setting and thermostat placement until you get something that works for your setup.

-Brandon

Mflav

Original Poster
I am so sorry to keep bothering everybody I have one last question I figured out how to set it to Fahrenheit thank you very much and I have the pad set at 90° however my temperature has not gone above 73.5 and it’s been about a half hour how long is it supposed to take for it to reach the set temperature just want to make sure there’s not an issue with my mat

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Is that the reading with your thermostat probe or your seperate thermometer?

Placement of your probes matters too.

-Brandon

Mflav

Original Poster
Both I have the probe that’s attached to it right above the bottom and that is reading only 75 and I have my own probe which is digital as well which is reading 76.8 both of them are next to each other inside the bin maybe it just takes a good amount of time before the heating pad reaches set temp?

Mflav

Original Poster
Both I have the probe that’s attached to it right above the bottom and that is reading 75 and I have my own probe which is digital as well which is reading 76.8 both of them are next to each other inside the bin maybe it just takes a good amount of time before the heating pad reaches set temp?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah it might take the pad a bit to heat up. Especially if you have a lot of ventilation or the area around the bin is already really cold. But once it heats up it typically holds the temp pretty well.

Do you have a picture of your setup so I could see? Might be able to make some suggestions.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok good, your setup looks fine :)

Just give it some more time and see what happens. It's good that both thermometers are reading about the same.

-Brandon

Mflav

Original Poster
Yes that’s why I put my own in there as well just to make sure reading was correct I ended up moving the yellow thermometer so the probe is in the middle of egg crates so U get a mid container temp And I moved the heating pad one to the bottom. As of right now the bottom is reading 79.3° and mid container Is at 73.8° which would make sense seems like everything is working just taking longer than I expected for heating pad to reach set temp thank you so much for all your help this is the only info I trust which is what I read from this site and who I speak with

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah, remember the heating pad is only 17w, so it will take it a bit to heat up (better than it getting super hot super fast) but once it gets to temp, it does a very good job of holding the temp where you want it.

-Brandon

Mflav

Original Poster
Wow this pad takes a REALLY LONG time to get to 92° it’s been almost 10 hours and Still only at 87.3°

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You might be loosing a lot of the heating pads output to your hardwood floors. I have mine on carpet which is much more insulating than a cold hardwood floor.

You could put a towel down, then the mat, then the bin. That would help. But either way, once your temp gets where it needs to be, the mat will hold it there.

-Brandon

Mflav

Original Poster
106350-3955667405.jpg
I actually have porcelain tile down(left over from current bathroom redo) then heat pad then bin. Porcelain heats up well and retains heat. I will get there eventually just NEVER expected to take this long

Here’s Oscar he’s the cool dude that gets to eat these dubias

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom