Dubia Math

Status
Not open for further replies.

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
I am growing impatient as I anticipate the day to rid my house of crickets. I am trying to do some calculations to see how many adult females I need before feeding out of my colony of Dubia. If my beardie eats 30 small nymphs a day, that's 900 a month. I can safely estimate that each female will produce 20 babies a month (I will only use 15 for my calculation, just to be safe). That means that I can "safely" feed out of my colony when I reach 60 adult females, right? :book: :study: (60 x 15 = 900) :study: :book:

BestRoach

Hatchling Member
Yes and no. You will need a buffer of roaches at the size you feed. So, if your feeding 1/2" roaches, then your going to want extra in that size, so when you start feeding, you don't run out. Roaches start out small, and will take about 1 month to reach 1/2" in size.

Otherwise, your caclulations are good. I would another 10 breeding females, just to be safe however.

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
Original Poster
BestRoach":fa77f said:
Yes and no. You will need a buffer of roaches at the size you feed. So, if your feeding 1/2" roaches, then your going to want extra in that size, so when you start feeding, you don't run out. Roaches start out small, and will take about 1 month to reach 1/2" in size.

Otherwise, your caclulations are good. I would another 10 breeding females, just to be safe however.

Awesome! Thanks! I plan to do a head count in about another week. That will be a month since I set up my colony. I got roaches from a few different sources and many of them were very large nymphs and several adult males and females so I may be close! If I have to wait another month, then I might go ahead and order some just to feed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom