Dubia Heat Pad Question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewsenes

So I have the xsmall reptiheat pad under my roach bin now, but I just ordered a human heat pad that I was gonna use for it. Should I just set the heat pad on the carpet and then put the bin on it, or should I attach it to the bin somehow? Also do you guys recommend putting something under the bin so the direct heat isn't on the carpet?
Thanks,
-Andrew

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

I just place the heat pad on the floor and place my bin on top of that.

Never had any problems doing it that way.

-Brandon

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
claudiusx":2dgv41sj said:
Hi there,

I just place the heat pad on the floor and place my bin on top of that.

Never had any problems doing it that way.

-Brandon

Same here. Just keep it to one side of the bin so one side is warmer than the other.

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
I say no heat pad on the carpet. Fabrics and soft surfaces hold on to a lot more heat than solid surfaces, and don't reflect it back the same way that say wood or tile does. This can cause the heating elements to malfunction because of the built up heat, which obviously, is bad whether your heat pad stops working completely or starts a fire. All heating pads (human, reptile, dog, etc) are designed to be used with one side exposed so that excess heat can dissipate into the air, with hard surfaces you can usually get away with placing the pad right under something as light weight as a roach bin because the solid surface just throws the heat back up into the bin, but on carpets, you're practically asking for a fire.

I use a tile between my heat pad and the floor, and it is propped so that there is some air space for heat dissipation. My heat mat is also on a thermostat, so that helps.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've used it like this for 3 years without any problems.

During winter I even had the heat pad totally wrapped up against the tank with a large comforter to keep the heat in better when I had them in the garage.
AtlasStrike":39kzcsnw said:
but on carpets, you're practically asking for a fire.

My carpet is warm to the touch underneath the pad that has been running 24/7 for the past 3 years. no where near the temp it would need to be to ignite carpet fibers. It is also in a small closet.

I have the worst possible conditions according to your post for something bad to happen (directly on carpet, virtually no air flow whatsoever) and have never had a problem.

I'm not saying that a fire can't start, it most certainly can start. But, my house is much more liable to burn down from my neighbors cigarette habit than it is to burn down due to my heating pad.

-Brandon

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
I've got two certified fire safety inspectors in the family, fires are bad. Some people don't see problems with using Zilla bulbs, some people don't see problems using coils, some people feed only mealworms, and some people's houses don't burn down. Everyone has choices to make, I tend to err on the side of caution.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
My uncle is the Chief Fire Inspector for the county, but that doesn't mean I am any more knowledgeable about things than anyone else. All I have is my own experience.

I understand err'ing on the side of caution, but only when I think there is more than a minuscule chance for a risk.

I view it as not riding on a roller coaster for fear of a safety belt coming undone and you flying off the ride. Can it happen? Sure it can.
I don't see it as a risk at all, I know loads of people who have done the same too.

In the end OP, you do whatever you are comfortable with. No point in me and Atlas going back and fourth on the subject, we have both made our points.

If you are more comfortable with placing your heat pad on a tile then do that.
If you would rather not, then don't.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylis342
Top Bottom