Dubia Colony -- Rubbermaid -- How to Heat

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to be starting a colony of Dubia roaches, and plan to keep them in a rubbermaid.
I can't get heat tape unless it's sold in a store like WalMart. I've checked Home Depot's website, and they don't seem to have any.

Are reptile undertank heaters safe to use on a rubbermaid?
If not, could I get a human heat pad, and just leave it on all the time?

Thanks. 8]

h0ndap0w3r

Sub-Adult Member
I use heat cable strapped to a piece of sheet metal. Most others here either use a human heat pad w/o the auto shut off, and some use the under tank heaters. Plastic from my understanding has to get extremely hot for it to melt.

Superfictious

Original Poster
I haven't heard of heat cable, but I'll look it up now, thank you.

With the plastic being warm, but not melting... you don't know if it's releasing any gross fumes, do you?

sddragons

Juvie Member
I am just using a 65W ceramic heat emitter in a dome and setting it top on the screen and my temps are in the 90's and they are breeding fine.

Grixxly15

Gray-bearded Member
I'm going to be using a under tank heater that I had from a while ago. It heats the tub just perfect to 91 degrees. My plan is if I ever have to lower the temps I can just wrap it in a towel.

patrickb

Juvie Member
The reptile heat pad or human heat pads (make sure they do not have the auto-shutoff) will work fine. They may include a warning about not to use on plastic, but this is just for liability purposes. The melting point of plastic is well above the temperature needed to burn human skin, so if it doesn't burn you, it is safe.

The Ceramic Heat Emitter is another good alternative if you don't feel safe using the heatpads. ;)

Superfictious

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses, guys.

I have a heating pad under my Leopard Gecko's tank. It's Exo Terra, and you basically peeled a piece off, and stuck it on. It's not designed to come off again. Holds the side of the tank it's on at 90. Would I be able to use this on the rubbermaid?

Home Depot has these heat cables: Heat Cables
My favorite feeder shop has the undertank heaters.

I'm really leaning towards this undertank heater, but I could get the bulbs or cable.
Any idea which is best/easiest?

Grixxly15

Gray-bearded Member
Superfictious":24007 said:
Thanks for all the responses, guys.

I have a heating pad under my Leopard Gecko's tank. It's Exo Terra, and you basically peeled a piece off, and stuck it on. It's not designed to come off again. Holds the side of the tank it's on at 90. Would I be able to use this on the rubbermaid?

Home Depot has these heat cables: Heat Cables
My favorite feeder shop has the undertank heaters.

I'm really leaning towards this undertank heater, but I could get the bulbs or cable.
Any idea which is best/easiest?

I also used those peel off then stick on UTH. Did not stop be from peeling it off and putting it on my rubbermaid. It just does not stick again once you peel it off.

Superfictious

Original Poster
Alright. I think it'll be getting another one of those for them, thanks a bunch. 8]
And I'm okay with it not coming off again.

hockeyballz30

Sub-Adult Member
i personally suggest the heat emitter, if the under tank heater short circuits which is possible, you could be in trouble. I am also breeding dubias and plan on getting a dome setup with a heat emitter. I have used this in the past with great success. IMO the heat emitter just overall seems like the safer bet.

Superfictious

Original Poster
I haven't seen the heat emitter in the stores around here - just basking bulbs. I'll look into it though, thanks. 8]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom