Dubia colony heating, completely clueless now please help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ok long story short
i was using ceramic heat emitter for the past months
i place it over the bin hole, but somehow the screen mesh along with hot blue cant support the weight of the heat fixture
and the emitter had fallen into the bin for 2 times, and last night it almost started a fire inside the bin
so for my own safety and wellness of my colony, CHE will never be an option for me anymore

but now im completely clueless as to which heat source should i replace the CHE with
i tried zoomed UTH before but it couldnt bring the temperature to the ideal level
(100 ambient temp for CHE vs. 95 BOTTOM temp for UTH)

i have been thinking about heat tapes, but am absolutely oblivious to how to set it up
(will be very helpful if someone can share pictures of their heat tape set-up in the colony)

there are also some people who say human heat pad is the best option
but i want to hear what more people have to say about it

and most importantly, as a college student, i have very limited budget and can definitely NOT afford experimentations
i need a lot of help and guidance in choosing the most efficient heat source
anything will be much appreciated!!

Lindz0518

Gray-bearded Member
A human heat pad with out an automatic shut off is good, they are safe to keep on carpet and keep the colony warm.

Wetbee

as long as you already have the CHE, how about looking at another way to suspend it over the tote. Mine is pushed under a table, so I just slung and ziptied the cord to a cross brace under the table. A clothe dryer rack, or maybe a tv tray...look around at what you already have that you could scrabble a stable suspend from.
Kris

stimulation

Original Poster
Wetbee":13kau4vm said:
as long as you already have the CHE, how about looking at another way to suspend it over the tote. Mine is pushed under a table, so I just slung and ziptied the cord to a cross brace under the table. A clothe dryer rack, or maybe a tv tray...look around at what you already have that you could scrabble a stable suspend from.
Kris

wow dats just like, the easiest and most obvious thing to do......
i feel retarded......
anyways time to look for some racks in the house
thx for the help

Dementeddogz

Hatchling Member
Mine is set in a larger tupperware box, we have a few, but this is our main breeding boxes.

We run 11" flex watt to cover the entire bottom. We then cut a piece of Styrofoam and set over the flexwatt. We seal this up with the aluminum duct tape. Keeps the floor safe, and all heat in box + extra insulation. We then just have a window cut in lid and covered with 2 layers of dark screen and tape in place. Thermostat is mounted on side with probe entering side and dropped in center.Never had an issue, temps are study and colonies going strong years later One of my favorite, less costly, and definitely less rick of fire as some set ups ive seen o.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AshG88
Top Bottom