Drooping eyes....can this be genetic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
My almost two year old male bearded dragon has droopy eyes (the lids). He has been this way since I adopted him when he was six months old. I have never been overly concerned, as he is healthy....and my vet didn't say anything during his visits. I am just looking for clarification, as from my reading this could possibly be a kidney issue? His last blood test was fine, would that show a kidney problem?

General info
24" long, 618 grams and gaining
two years old (july 27th hatch date)
Fresh greens and veg daily (not a big green eater)
Supers several times a week...roughly 50-70 a week.
UVB provided by 100watt SB Mega-Ray (roughly 7 months old....replacing soon).
Basking temp is roughly 105-115 with a nice gradient.
5000K daylight bulbs, and a 3500k warm bulb fill out the rest of the spectrum
Substrate is tile (slate and ceramic)
Viv size 4'x2'
Gets a bath roughly 2 times a week, and he does usually drink when in there.
Poops every 2 to 3 days on his own, or whenever he gets a bath....can't help himself in the warm water :p.

Time for pictures

The eyes...
IMG_0105.jpg

IMG_0104.jpg

The rest of him
IMG_0277.jpg

IMG_0276.jpg

IMG_0107.jpg

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
Hi
Yes droopy eyes can be a genetic trait and looking at your care I would be comfortable in saying he is perfectly fine.His eyes are nice and clear and he doesnt appear to be dehydrated or ill so unless there is any other symptoms I wouldnt worry too much.If there were any major kidney issues the labs should have shown it also you would see it in his urates,activity level,etc.

BadCon

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thank you for replying! I lost a juvenile beardy a couple months back to a respiratory infection, so I have been obsessing about my two older beardies lately. I was pretty confident his eyes were just genetic, but one can never be too sure. If Oscar, the dragon pictured, were to pass away I would be devistated. I barely had my little guy for a couple months when he passed, and I bald my eyes out for days.

thanks again!

vickson420

BD.org Addict
Retired Moderator
BadCon":ac8e4 said:
Thank you for replying! I lost a juvenile beardy a couple months back to a respiratory infection, so I have been obsessing about my two older beardies lately. I was pretty confident his eyes were just genetic, but one can never be too sure. If Oscar, the dragon pictured, were to pass away I would be devistated. I barely had my little guy for a couple months when he passed, and I bald my eyes out for days.

thanks again!

No problem and I totally understand what you mean.Whenever you lose a pet you tend to overthink and panic at times which is totally normal.Besides better to ask and put your mind to ease then to worry and hope nothing is wrong.He is a real cutie by the way :mrgreen:
Sorry to hear about your little guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom