Dragon's mouth keeps open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hudson":aa172 said:
Hi,
Thank you for asking, if you had not mentioned that I needed a UVB bulb I would not have known.
I live in New York.. I do have calcium supplements, do these substitute the UVB bulb? Thank you for your help.
I live in NY too, it sure has been cold here this winter.

Yes, you do need calcium AND a good UVB light because one won't do any good without the other. I had posted this info to you a few days ago:
You will need to invest in a UVB light to prevent metabolic bone disease and other health issues. Here's a site that sells them for a very reasonable price. http://www.petmountain.com/product/bulbs/504983/zoo-med-reptisun-10.0-high-output-uvb-bulb.html You should be able to get both of these products from a petstore but it will be more expensive there.

How did you make out with the temps today? Is he still sitting in his basking area with his mouth open quite often?

Hudson

Original Poster
Yes, It has been cold. I haven't seen grass in weeks.

She is not gaping anymore. When I buy the crickets I dust them in the bag. Is this okay?

I will try to get a UVB bulb tomorrow.
I can't believe how much fun she is! I have been holding her a lot. I tried putting her on my shoulder but she ran down onto my chest and just hung there!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I know what you mean, would be SO nice to see a little bit of grass, even if it was brown. Did you have the ice storm that we had last month? Do you live near Buffalo or near New York City? We're getting another snowstorm tomorrow night into all day on Wed.

That's a good sign that you're not seeing her gape quite a bit anymore. Does she bask quite a bit? She has the cutest face. :love5: They sure love to lay on us and also love to be wrapped up in blankets too to sleep on us. Have you given her a bath yet? If you need help with that, let me know.

That's good that you will be getting a UVB tomorrow. You will unfortunately pay a lot more for one at a petstore. Make sure you don't get a compact or coil UVB as those are VERY dangerous and shouldn't even be on the market. Some beardies have actually died from using those. :( There have been some problems with the Repti-Glo 10.0 fluoresent so avoiding that one would be a good idea. The Repti-Sun 10.0 is the best fluorescent UVB in the U.S. Do you need help with finding a hood for the bulb or do you know what you need to get?

Hudson

Original Poster
I don't live in New York City but I'm close to it. I'm in Northern Westchester. I can't believe were getting another snow storm!

She basks A LOT. She goes on her basking log and basks until I put food down and then she comes down to eat but goes right back up. I have given her a bath already. She didn't enjoy it but that is the only place so far she has gone to the bathroom. I will try to find a UVB bulb in stores but if I can't I will buy from the website you reccomneded.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh ok, so you don't live that far from us.

That's good that she likes to bask. Were you able to raise the cool side temps at all or are you getting a higher reading there now? She will eventually love her baths, it's a good idea to give them one about 3 to 4 times a wk. It really makes a difference when you put a washcloth down as it keeps them from sliding around and helps them feel more secure.

After you get the UVB bulb, then you will know what size hood to get. You can go to Walmart and buy a standard fluorescent light like you would use over a kitchen sink, in a basement or a garage. Remove the plastic cover and remove the bulb that comes with it, put the UVB in and leave the plastic cover off. Your other alternative for a hood would be to get a partial hood like you could use on a fish aquarium but is called a strip light but you would pay more at a petstore for that too than you would at Walmart but here is one that you could find at a petstore: http://www.petmountain.com/product/light-fixtures/516021/perfecto-fluorescent-perfect-a-strip-light-black.html

Hudson

Original Poster
I just bought a UVB bulb from the website you reccomeneded! :D I do have a hood.

I didn't know that the dragons like a washcloth on their baths. I will have to try that next time.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
So, you got the Repti-Sun 10.0 fluorescent? Is it all setup? Is it about 6 to 8 inches from him?

Let me know if the cloth down in the bottom of her bath makes a difference.

Hudson

Original Poster
I don't have the light but it has been shipped.

Even with at bit more grip in her bath she still wanted to jump right out. Maybe she just dislikes baths :( .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom