Dragon flipping onto back constantly, lethargic

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
As soon my UVB light comes in I'm probably going to let them have it for the couple of weeks left. I'll be taking him home anyway "as long as he survives" until summer break to quote the teacher, so I'll get it back. My poor girl has no UVB light until it comes in, though, so I would hate to have it finally come in (I've been waiting a couple weeks-no clue why it's taking so long) and she can't use it. I think I'll have to though, I'll just take Sapphire outside when I get home so she can get some UVB that way. That would be fine, right? She should be alright for the couple weeks/one week if I do that so Steve can hopefully get better with it until I can order one for him? She doesn't have one currently- hasn't for the last couple of weeks since hers stopped working unexpectedly, it's why she's getting the new one.

And I know, it's frustrating that they bought him without getting the things he needed ready. I think she just went along with what she was told without researching and now has no way of caring properly for him. The worst part is that they have 3 other animals that need a vet trip and yet bought a lizard who also wasn't healthy. 2 mice and a rabbit. When I asked if I could take Steve home sooner than summer break, she just questioned what I would do different and argued that "he's a part of the class".

Also do you guys know how much a vet trip would cost from a reptile vet at all? Just for a check up so I can at least find out exactly what's wrong with him? I'll have to take him for a checkup and treatment, but I'd really appreciate just an estimate on how much the initial checkup would be.

Shenlong

anyway you can help is fine but he needs so much more than just a light, a trip to the vet at this stage is essential and they are more than happy to leave him to die, and the fact that they try to justify it by sating it's how he was kept before is disgusting and if I had to guess his previous keeper probably used an mvb but they were too cheap to buy a replacement so just got him a normal spotlight instead? in any case leaving him there anylonger than a day is a bad idea, get him out of there please!

Shenlong

if you took his tank home could you put the 2 tanks next to each other with a screen between them and place your current uvb 50/50 over the top of both of them at the heat lamp end? not ideal but better for both of then?

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Unfortunately I don't think so, due to where Sapphire is I don't think I could get another tank next to it, or even at the same height since her tank takes up the whole table it's on.

I'll see what I can do about getting him sooner, but I'm not sure I'll be able to. I can't do anything to risk her not letting me take him home, so it's difficult to talk to her about him, escoeciallyespecially about how bad his conditions are. The only good thing is the temperature is correct.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

So you will be able to take him home with you then, that is great!
He definitely needs a vet visit but I understand everything adds up. I am happy to hear you are getting another light.
Sapphire will be fine for a short while without UVB. Maybe you can get her outside for some sunshine, that would help a lot!
How is Steve doing right now, has he stopped flipping as much?

Tracie

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Alright, thanks for the info! I'm glad to hear she'll be fine for awhile until I can get my hands on 2 UVB lights, as long as I take her outside.

I think he's doing a little better since he only flipped 2 or 3 times today, but I'm not sure. He is at least more alert now that he temperature is up- usually after I handle him after a minute or two he'll pick his head up and stare at me. He moves around in his tank, too, he sometimes changes sides of the tanks between my visits to get to the cooler side. I'm hoping since he got outside for a little today he'll be at least a little better tomorrow.

SpacialCoogs

Sub-Adult Member
this makes me so sad. The poor little guy.

Kudos to you for taking on his care and making a difference.

My vet charges $125 for a visit but all recheck associated are free after that. I'm in Canada though so the cost could be wildly different than where you are.

I'm almost wanting to stage a wildlife rescue, or at least call the spca if they have multiple animals they can't take care of. Is there an option to buy Steve off of them?

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I wish, but I don't think so. She seems pretty content with keeping him despite the fact I can help, I doubt she'd be thrilled with me even buying him off them. There's no way I'd be letting them take him back without trying to keep him though- if I'm going to spend all this money on the care of a lizard that isn't even mine because the school couldn't do it, they shouldnt get to take him back. I'm going to try to figure something out if I can help him time to get him through the summer so that I can keep him or give him to someone who can care for him better if it turns out he needs more than I can do.

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Since I can get him home soon, I was wondering what I should feed him since he looks pretty thin? I'm not sure if there's anything special I should get before hand so I'm ready when I get him, food wise or just in general what he will need immediately besides the UVB light.

Also, he's been getting dandelion greens and crickets everyday there, but should he be eating so many crickets?

Thank for you any advice!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Dandelions + crickets are fine, and if you have calcium powder to dust the crix that will be helpful. If you can get him in the sun at least a few times a week [ if not every day ] that should help him assimilate calcium better and help his overall health quite a bit.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is promising he has not flipped himself as much then, maybe he will improve pretty quickly once you can get him home with better lighting & feedings.
I agree, if you put that much into him then they shouldn't be able to just take him back either.
Since he is at least getting some food, you could just increase the variety of greens he receives & mix in some superworms for more fat for him. He is an adult, so 40-50 insects weekly should be good, with greens to get some good weight on him. You could add some squash variety to see if he likes that, or cooked sweet potato.
I hope your girl is doing well, too.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

dezismom

Juvie Member
This makes me so angry! (not with you; with the school!) If they cannot take care of Steve, they need to give him to you! As a retired science teacher, I have seen how some teachers do not listen to students, or feel somehow threatened by their suggestions; it is infuriating. My students taught me as much as I taught them. Maybe write a letter to the principle, explaining Steves' difficulties, and proposing solutions. If you are willing to take him home and treat him, say so, and have your parents sign they agree with this. (you do not need to write it in the letter, but if you do take him home, do not plan to give him back! He deserves better.) Circulate the letter among the students, getting as many signatures as possible before delivering it to the Principle. If they still refuse to take care of, or give Steve to a better home, send a copy of the letter to your local newspaper. Good luck! Thank you for taking such an active stance for what you know is right.

Shenlong

to be honest once you have him you could tell the school he passed away, they will never know any different and they can't look after him anyway so screw um :D

God this is awful, some people can be so stupidly stubborn. I really hope you can get poor Steve to recover. You should try going to the principal or raising money, though I'm not sure how effective the second one would be. Also, to get parents involved would have more of an influence on Stupid Teacher. To TS, you are being kinda rude, as TS is an adult, and to some adults kids or teens are inferior in intelligence as well as knowledge. I'm in Maryland, if I can help, I know a couple of "reptile experts" who could talk with the teacher. Good luck to you and Steve!

SilverGravity

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Good news this time! So when my mom came to pick me up from school, she went inside to talk to the principal so I could take him today, but he wasn't there unfortunately. However, she did talk to the receptionist there and she knew all about Steves conditions and was also trying to get the teacher to get better care for him. My mom could have talked to her directly about taking him then, but it might have gotten rather rude or angry so my mom decided not too. The receptionist even said liked being held. That's so sad, that means she was caring for him, even more than the actual teacher in charge of him is doing. Plus, he's still wanting love and attention. Or body heat. Either way, cute and sad.

Also, Steve got a UVB light! It's not the strip light I'm ordering, and I don't know if it's great, but after being talked to several times by both me and the receptionist I guess she finally decided to buy one. He was curled up underneath it when I checked on him. He was sticking his tongue out a bit though, which I found weird.

Thank you all for your help so far!! I'll be sure to keep updating. I should I hopefully be able to get him Monday if all goes well :) Oh- also looking into getting super worms for him so he can put on bit of weight, my mom is friends with a guy who raises them.

image15.jpg

image16.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom