Doyle's Funky Eyes - Exophiala Fungi

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissT

BD.org Addict
They hold weight quite well - last time Kazi was sick, he actually put on weight between visits! I havent been able to weigh him in between this time but im hoping he is holding it this time. Hopefully Doyle wont have lost much more than poopy weight! Ask for bigger syringes - I notice the 10ml syringes arent any fatter at the tip but they do seem to withstand a lot more - I used one today and there are no holes in it yet!!!

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Due the amount of meds he has to take, it has to be the dinky 1cc syringes. If I ended up needing to feed him slurry or Critical Care I will certainly ask for bigger ones. I have a vet I used to work at for like 5 years (he takes care of my cats) who will be willing to give me syringes too, just the exotic vet is closer.

What type of baby food should I get for him? I read stage 1 types on another thread, but I can't remember the types that are good to get. I'm assuming squash and something else. Do you think he'd try it if it was just in a bowl or should I try to put a drop of it on his nose?

I really appreciate the help. It such a HUGE relief to know I have a support group to talk to about Doyle. Thank you all so much!
--Maggie

MissT

BD.org Addict
Squash and chicken baby foods are good. I used to always see gerbers as the advised brand on the boards if u can get it. But just make sure it's plain. I don't think he will take it from a bowl but try giving it from a spoon- put a little on his nose so he gets the taste and hopefully he will start licking the spoon- I use plastic baby medicine spoons usually although Phoebe will only take things off 'shiny spoons'!
I didn't even think- of course the meds are in little syringes! Hehe! Just tell the vet u need a lot of them!!!
Did u get any probiotics yet?

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I'm ordering the probiotics now.

I was looking at their web site and it looks like Doyle has Yellow Fungus Disease based on the photos and descriptions that are there.
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/yellowfungus.html

His eyes look very similar and he has a few dark spots on his belly. I also noticed how his eyes look distinctly yellow around the edges...sigh...This could be a never ending battle.

MissT

BD.org Addict
I can see what you mean.... very similar. Can you get some pictures of those other areas?
Also, ask the vet about it.
If it is yellow fungus, you can do diluted betadine soaks and then apply the lamisil. The ketaconazole, from what I remember is a stronger form of the itraconazole so thats great that he is already on that.

Take a big deep breath tho - Doyle has fought this far. It might seem like a never ending battle, but you will get there!

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I got home today and almost cried. Doyle was still on the bottom of his viv, hardly having moved from where he was this morning. It looks like he had kind of tried to move, but his legs just ended up all funky - just where ever they managed to end up and bent at not normal or comfortable positions. He hadn't touched his salad at all. I put him on his basking rock while I went downstairs to get his dinner and meds ready. I had gotten some squash and chicken baby food so I mixed about 2 parts squash to 1 part chicken. He took his meds fairly well, meaning that he didn't have enough energy to argue with me about it. He keeps closing his eyes in between doses like he doesn't have enough energy to keep them open.

I managed to feed him about 7-8 mls of baby food. I didn't want to push much more than that...I'm not sure how much he should be having. I'm so worried. He seems to have come crashing down since Saturday. Maybe it's the meds combined with stress. I just don't want to have 'rescued' him only to have made him worse.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, the meds. are hard on them, and he's been through a lot with the eye - scraping, etc. I know you're going through a lot as well, I hope he improves for you, hopefully he will perk up when his worm meds. are done. Thankfully he's taking them, and it's really great that you got some baby food in him. I think that would make his stomach feel better than just the meds. on empty. Give him as much baby food as he'll take without choking or stressing him, be sure to do it slowly and that you can see him swallow it and it's not just setting at the back of his throat. The baby food adds to his hydration , too, so that's an extra bonus.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is too bad Doyle is having such a hard time. How is he doing today?
The Ketoconazole is good, a little better than the Itraconazole. It is hard on the system so it would be a good idea to get him on the probiotics & extra oral fluids for him.
Is his beard black, or normal in color?
Rescues are very difficult when they are in bad shape. Try to keep your chin up & continue the regime you are giving him with the foods & meds right now. Hopefully, he will start to improve for you soon.
See if you can find some bee pollen to help his immune system out right now.
The yellow around the eyes also could be normal pigmentation too. Are you treating the spot on the belly with any cream?

Tracie

MissT

BD.org Addict
Until the acidophiliz arrives, you could get him some soy yoghurt to act as a temporary probiotic. You can get plain or flavoured. All the meds will be making his tummy feel icky so hopefully that will help.

Keep us posted on him

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Thank you both so much! It makes me feel so much better knowing that you care what happens with him - it's not just him and I :)

He fell asleep so quickly last night, cuddling on my chest while I watched Hell's Kitchen. I had nightmares that he has passed during the night. I know it's because Pudgy passed last night and I was so worried about him.

Waking up seemed much better today - usually when I move him he will just barely open an eye and try to go back to sleep. Today though he woke right up and seemed thoroughly happy to be put on his basking rock. I have a plastic tub that I put him in at night now with his blanky that sits on my night stand. I made his breakfast and got him to eat about 8 mLs. He was feisty and I was so happy! Once I got the tip the syringe in his mouth he would sit there with it while I slowly fed him, rather just accepting the fact that this was going to happen. He had a nice round belly when we were done! He poo'd as well, and looking at it there were roach shells in it :( Poor guy

Here is the cuddles I got after it was over. It was the first time he's cuddled like that with me - I was so excited!
abd015a0.jpg

And this is what he was looking like after I put him back on his rock. He is still blackbearding. I guess I should expect to see him like this until he starts eating better on his own. His beard hasn't returned to normal since Saturday.
1b476789.jpg

93f050ac.jpg

MissT

BD.org Addict
OOOh his eyes definitely look brighter and more awake!!! I see a real difference in him already.

The black beard can be a sign of stress/pain (is his tail black at all??). Kazi had a blackbeard and tail for 3 days last week. Now, he seems to be getting better and when he has a 'stress episode' it usually calms down within a couple of hours. I think it shows that Doyle trusts you to help him when you can see that he is in pain. He hid it from his previous 'people' because he knew they did not care.

Its amazing how quickly we get attached to them. Those nightmares must have been awful! Poor Pudgy as well - I feel so bad for Heather :(

Thats great that he pooped again - Im sure he will start to feel better getting all of those nasty shells out of his tummy!

Is it today that you are taking him to the vet? How about all of his test results - do you know when they will be back?

McSkweeky

Juvie Member
Original Poster
YAY!! It's hard for me to see the little differences cuz I spend so much time looking at him. His attitude was much better when I got home from work. I think he stayed on his basking rock all day, which is great compared to yesterday's floor-of-the-viv bit.

I took him to the vet after work. Here he is on the way there
058736cd.jpg

They got just over 20 mLs of food into him. It was so great to get him back and see a nice round belly! The blood results aren't in yet, but hopefully should be in tomorrow so we can know what's going on. I'll share them as soon as I see them. They said it could be up to a month to get the results of the fungal culture. I also got a product called Carnivore Care from the vet. I'm supposed to mix it with water into the consistency of pea soup. It has more nutrients than the baby food and will be a better balanced diet for him.
http://www.oxbowanimalhealth.com/vets/products/carnivore_care

I'm going camping this weekend, and with the not eating well and the meds I opted to have him stay at the vet. It's going to be another $60 for boarding for 4 days, but I don't have any one around here who would feel comfortable with him, let alone needing to possibly force feed and medicate him. My rescue has cost me an entire week's pay already, but the more snuggles I get the more I know he is worth it. The things we do for the critters we love.

MissT

BD.org Addict
He looks so chilled out in that photo! And no black beard!!!!! :blob8:

The carnivore care is good - im starting the version for herbivores today and mixing it with the protein based stuff my vet gave me. Hopefully, Kazi will enjoy this little change!!

Dont worry if you need to add a little extra water to it - some like it a lot thinner than others!

Did you ask the vet about yellow fungus?

Thats good that the vet is going to take him for the weekend - it must put your mind at ease that they offer those facilities and will be looking after him when you are away - dont be afraid to tell whoever will be looking after him about his routine - and make sure they know that he needs his blankie for bed time!

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
Enjoy your camping trip. We like camping but usually don't go on just the weekend, we wait until I have a vacation week and go then when we can.

Doyle's eyes look better, not 100% yet but better.

MissT

BD.org Addict
OOOh I meant to say - it looks like he is shedding - the top of his head and the spikes at the back/side of his head! And it looks pretty thick (possibly some retained shed there). If you can get some 100% aloe vera gel (Fruit of the Earth) that will help ease his itchiness... and plenty of baths to help soften that thick skin!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom