Dove eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Siren

Juvie Member
I have a mated pair of diamond doves. No eggs yet, but soon enough. Diamond doves are small birds, about the size of parakeets. Their eggs are the size of a raspberry. I would assume in the wild they would eat eggs when given the chance. Unlike grocery chicken eggs, my doves are fed a very balanced diet, so I would assume the eggs would be healthy for some animals to consume. 50% of eggs laid are infertile. So I am likely to have some. Would it be safe to feed my beardies the eggs? If so, raw or hard boiled?

icelore

Juvie Member
No idea if they are safe for beardies, but I fed my dove eggs to my rats hard boiled. They loved them.

Siren

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well I tried hard boiled quail eggs recently and they loved them. That was a week ago and no problems so far. Plan to be just a once and a while treat,

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Folks feed hard-boiled or scrambled (microwave no oil) chicken eggs on occasion, I've tried it and Pepper loves them. Dove or quail sounds like a more dragony portion size.

Do you have quails too?

Siren

Juvie Member
Original Poster
I only have doves. And I thought it was a nice portion size too. I know for birds, you can feed hard boiled eggs, whites only. And with the shell (crushed to almost a powder), the shells provide a nice source of calcium. Once I figure out the best way to boil dove eggs, I plan to feed sparingly. I have read eggs should be fed rarely, but the information did not state whole chicken eggs/white only/with or without shell. I would assume in the wild a bearded dragon being opportunists would eat bird eggs if they came upon them. But just to ensure they don't get salmonella poisoning, I will hard boil them.

My doves are about 6 months old and have been mating a lot, plus nesting behavior. So I am sure to have eggs soon.

LLLReptile

Juvie Member
Dove eggs would be a great treat on occasion! That's awesome, cool idea for providing variety for your beardies. :)

-Jen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom