Doug The Lovebug!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Ladies and Gents meet Doug!
388225_221670494569316_100001791027399_510669_1039057265_n.jpg

He is a honeycomb mali uromastyx. I'm not new to this site, my boyfriend and I have 2 bearded dragons Frank and Sunny. Doug is our first uro and I know we are getting another one in a few weeks. We got Doug yesterday at the reptile expo. As soon as I saw him I knew he was ours. Doug is not skittish at all, He's settling in great, eating, exploring, and already easy to handle. We are keeping handling to a minimum this week so he can claim his cage. Walking around the expo we did see a lot of uros, but mostly all of them were wild caught and seem to me to be unhealthy and not cared for properly. We thought we were not going to find one until our friend who's a reptile expert showed up and led us straight to the best breeder. We some how missed his booth our first time around the room, and I'm so glad we were able to find him. I was amazed, we got Doug, the proper lighting, substrate, and accessories at the expo for a total of $115! We got the expensive bulbs and stuff too. We stocked up on reptisun uvb lights for all three of them because the prices were incredible and we figure since we have to change them in a few more months anyway why wait!
Now that I have rambled on and on, please if you have any advice, tips, and or criticism don't hesitate to let me know. I'm still learning about uros but I'm confident I have the proper set up for Doug so far!

-Kaleen

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi Kaleen!

Welcome to the uro club lol.

You might want to hold off handling for longer than a week. Uros have a much longer acclimation period than beardies do, I've heard it can take up to several months for them to actually get used to their new environment.

If you can, i'd make the substrate a bit deeper.

Looking forward to more pictures :p

-Brandon

FranktheTank

Gray-bearded Member
Original Poster
Hi and thank you for the welcome.
We were actually wondering about the handling, so thanks! It's so hard not to just scoop him up. I can't believe how loveable and sweet he is, he's hardly ever in his cave seems to want to be out were he can be around us.. I've read that the Mali uros are like that.
The picture of Doug is when we first brought him home and the only birdseed we had is what the breeder gave to us to use until we got to the pet shop. We purchased high quality seed for him and it's a lot deeper now!

-Kaleen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maryjane91383
Top Bottom