Double Enclosure Tips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone! I got my first lizard, a hypo lemon beardie, about two months ago. Well, I've been bitten by the "reptile bug" and I'm already looking to expand my collection. I really want to get a blue tongue skink. The only problem is I'm still a student and the room I live in is only about 10x10. I have my guy Dawkins in a 36x18x18 exo terra terrarium. That doesn't take up a terrible amount of space but if I were to add a second tank I'd barely be able to move. My Mom's best friend is a carpenter and I was thinking about talking to him about helping me build a double enclosure (maybe even triple depending on how much material costs). I was thinking about something maybe 57-62 inches tall with two built in 48x18x18 tanks with sliding front or open front doors, two 7 inch hoods, and a shelf that's at least 7 inches, ideally 12 inches high. Like I mentioned before I would even consider doing a triple enclosure in which case I'd be willing to forgo the shelf. In any case here's my questions- Roughly how much would it cost to build something like this? (I'm not talking about anything super fancy or deluxe, It can be bare bones as long as it's functional) How hard would it be to build something like this? Do you guys think it's a practical idea? Any other tips or insights about building something like this would be awesome. Thanks for your help everyone! :D

Soulwind

Sub-Adult Member
If you already have access to the proper tools and skillset,
materials can be gotten for $100 to $200 or so depending on
what all you use. There's several "how-tos" out there for enclosures.

For a double enclosure you just have to build a frame to house them both
(and leave room for light fixtures that may need some extra head room).

However, I'd like to recommend that you do some considerations and thinking
about it before you go and get more animals. You say you're "still a student"
which means that you're most likely under 18 and live with your parents.

Reptiles live for many years and require constant care. What happens in a
few years when you go off to college, or join the military, or whatever route
you happen to go in as you get older? You will most likely not be able to take
your reptiles with you to the dorms. You will definitely not be able to take them
with you if you join the military, etc. Who's going to continue to care for them
while you are gone? Are your parents willing to take that responsibility on?
Especially with blue-tongue skinks [which can get quite large] or other bigger
reptiles [iguana's get HUGE]...

I know the "reptile bug" is hard to resist, but it may be best if you try and hold
off on scratching that itch until you are fully established in your own home with
a solid income line and have progressed past the more temporary stages of your life.

Just my 2 cents :mrgreen:

PoliticalKid

Original Poster
While I appreciate your concern you need not worry. When my baby brother was born a little under two years ago I made the decision to stay at home and commute to college so I wouldn't miss him growing up. It's difficult enough being nearly two decades apart let alone living in another state. I happen to live within a reasonable driving distance to Rutgers which is a decent college. Also, I realize how long reptiles live, how much specialty care they need, how expensive they can be, etc. (I'm actually going to school for zoology/herpetology) Before I buy any animal I do at least 6 months of research to make sure I'm fully equipped to handle the new animal and care for them properly. In any case I am definitely restricting myself to one dragon and one skink simply due to cost and practicality. Thanks for your advice and concern though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom