Dogs and beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nattyklis

Hatchling Member
I am actively looking for a puppy, may not happen soon but in the near future I will be getting one. How do you introduce a beadie to a dog or puppy and how well has it gone for anyone who has done it before.

Kasai has met cats and dogs before very briefly while in his tank. Cats showed more interest but then didn't care and kasai would just watch, no beard, no puffing, just watch.

sweetpea1981

Juvie Member
I have 3 dogs(german shepherd, pit bull and a chihuahua) and 2 beardies(5 months and 7 months) and they have seen each other through the tanks, and when we have had them out they have smelled them, we did that for awhile just let them smell them when we were holding them, then we moved to having the beardies on the couch near us and letting them smell them. My chihuahua loves the lizards, the german shepherd seems to like them, and the pit bull could care less, now we don't let the beardies run around on the floor with the big dogs out yet, because they are BIG dogs but they do run on the couch with them out. I can let the beardies run around with the chihuahua because they don't mind her and she loves them, but it is always supervised. Just start slowly, plus knowing your dog helps and our dogs know that the beardies are also part of our family which helps, and they know this cause we started out by holding them and protecting them and we set limits for the dogs.

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
i wouldn't let the puppy near the beardie at first.

puppies can be a bit over excited and may nip or jump on your beardie. let the puppy see the beardie through the glass, and when it calms down you could bring your beardie out for it to sniff, but be ready to pull away if the puppy decides it wants to play with the beardie.

lillylizard

Sub-Adult Member
Careful because i have a dog who is scared of my dragons and has tried stuff. The other doesn't care and Elyott loves running threw his fur. My boyfriends dog tried to pick Elyott off to go cuddle with him. (This dog tries to uddle with wild farm cats and taps frogs on the head) it all depends on the dog

Nattyklis

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm not concerned about the dog, I have trained and ran my own dogs in agility and Obience. Since I moved away from home I haven't had a dog of my own and plan on getting one, maybe soon. It's the lizard I'm more concerned about since kasai is my first.

Colesdad

I have a four year old boxer and a7 month old dragon. Slash, the dragon, has no fear. He jumps on Duncan, the boxer, s nose and has even tried walking on him. We know that Slash knows Duncan is a real animal and like wise. I trust my boxer fully! He is a great family pet! However, he is extremely active and doesn't know how big rough he can. With my 8 old son he is very patient and gentle. However, I would never let slash and Duncan see each other without CLOSE supervision, not because of aggression but because of the size difference. I just know that cuddley dog would step on cuddley dragon. So unless you have a super small dog i wOuld be terrified i would have a pancaked dragon layingon the living room floor ;)

Nattyklis

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
One of my main concerns is that kasai doesn't like anyone or anything. He'll barly let me hold him. Once I get him calmed down enough and try to let someone else hold or pet him kasai will try to back into me like he's trying to disappear into me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivannam17
Top Bottom