Doesn't Drink Water

Status
Not open for further replies.

spike2011

Ever since I first got Spike at 10 weeks old, he just doesn't drink water. The only water he gets is from his veggies. He has his mouth open almost 75% of the time and I'm worried he's dehydrated. Anyone pickin' up what I'm puttin' down?

spike2011

Original Poster
Well to tell you the truth no...i've never given him a bath, tonight i'll try it...i'll post the result tomorrow morning. Thanks for the tip. :mrgreen:

Twobeardieguy

BD.org Sicko
Spike what are the temps in the viv and how are you measuring them? The mouth open is called gaping. Since beardies dont sweat like us that is their way of cooling down and letting the excess heat out. Also the water on the veggies is great. And the bath a few times a week does help. Just remember make the water baby bath warm and water no more then the bottom of the belly. And always keep your eye on them! Hope this helped.

spike2011

Original Poster
well bath time went well...he seemed really relaxed after the bath, although i never saw him tongue the water. thanks for all your help guys, what is a "viv"? His cage has one exo-terra reptile tight beam basking light, one blue hued long flourescent uvB light, and one infra red heat lamp wich gives off heat but no light at all. Gets crickets three times a week and worms once and awhile...daily i feed him lettuce and carrots. :study:

minipumpkin

Hatchling Member
viv is your tank/set up/Vivarium

you need to have alook at the lights and have a rethink asap, they arnt good for beardies. i know its a pain in the ass and costs alot but it will help.

flourescent tube the arcardia 12 or the reptisun 10 are good tubes.
secound the red heat lamp you have please chage it to a normal white light thay give off the heat he needs. for night time if the temps get a little low a heat mat stuck to the side of the viv will be fine.

carrots are not too good for beardies it stoped them from absorbing the calcium they need, i do give mine some once every two weeks as a treat as they do like it.

sorry for rambling on about something you didnt really ask but its things you need to know to have health beardies.

Fallencomrade2008

Juvie Member
Listen to him on the carrots for sure, carrots are good every once an a while, like treat but they have too much vitamin A in them for a beardies body to digest all the time.

thanybeauty1

Hatchling Member
I had my beardie for about 4 months before I found this website. I had no idea beardies don't drink from water dishes. My guy went 4 months with no water. After finding out they don't drink from the dish I started misting his vine and he drinks it up off of the vine. He loves it and has actually gained some weight since we started doing it. Baths do help too, My baby Shep doesn't care for baths but my adult, Princess, does. This helps them absorb hydration I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DarthPenumbra
Top Bottom