Does your beardie love forbidden fruit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

angelpaws

Hatchling Member
I am constantly checking the famous beardie food list for new things my beardie can try. He seems to just LOVE the things he should only have "rarely" or "occassionally". This time, I noted the list said tomatoes are a "rarely" food. This is the first time I gave it but he ate every little piece! The same is true with bananas.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is this because the food is bad (like candy to a baby would be) or are they really bad for them like poison?

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
If you're talking about that beautiful dragons chart, I carry that with me everywhere I go incase I happen to be in a grocery store! :lol: I've been trying to find more veggies and fruits for my Norbert to entice him to eat more salad. Lately he won't touch his greens, but really likes his fruit. I don't think the things they like are necessarily more fattening or anything, I think it has more to do with the oxalates (I think? ) and the phosphorus (I think again...lol) content of the foods.
I usually try to stick to the things in green and black. If you're looking for good staple fruits I would suggest fresh papaya and figs. Those are my Norbert's favorite's and papaya are high in calcium and vitamin C, and figs are high in calcium and fiber. Plus, both are sweet and I think dragons like sweet. :)

angelpaws

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
It is a good idea to carry the list around! Im always wondering. What sucks is, you cant buy small amounts of the veggie. (I dont eat mustard greens-lol) so alot goes to waste. Luckilly I have a compost.

He ate every piece of the tomato - hes not done that for any fruit other than banana. Ive given strawberry, apple, pear, plum and watermelon. He'll eat a few bites but there is always some left. He seems to like grapes but the chart says occassionally for them as well. I was really surprised to find all the tomato pieces gone.

I suppose if I continually alternate, he will never have alot of anything for too long but it would be nice to be sure of something he liked so I could always have it on hand!

Katie007":354fp7jy said:
I would suggest fresh papaya and figs.
. This will be my next try.
Thank for the input!

Katie007

Sub-Adult Member
Your welcome! :) Also, Im not sure how much tomato you should feed...I've read that acidy fruits and veggies aren't very good for them, and that chart says feed rarely for them. Just a heads up, just incase!

Dooter

Sub-Adult Member
Stella seems to have a good round appetite (and a good round belly as well :roll: ) - she'll try just about anything, especially first thing in the morning.

She WILL, however - eat "forbidden fruit" off of the floor. :shock: Seriously, its worse than having a baby around. I have to make sure EVERYTHING is up off the floor - and she is out of her viv A LOT - otherwise she'll eat it. Fuzzballs, dog food, random bugs, and god knows what else. She almost ate one of my 4-yr old daughter's Polly Pocket's shoes one day, and now I am really hyper about all of my daughter's toys being in her room.

Yesterday I saw Stella skidding sideways across the tile in the kitchen, chasing down... ???? I have no idea what it was, because she already ate it before I could get over to her. It makes me super worried all the time! She eats plenty of food, I think its more curiosity than anything.

angelpaws

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Katie007":xo7uatk7 said:
Im not sure how much tomato you should feed...I've read that acidy fruits and veggies aren't very good for them, and that chart says feed rarely for them
- Oh dont worry, I refer to the list often, thats why I put the question out there. It wasnt a whole tomato but a cut up sliver of a grape tomato, just thought it was funny that he ate all of that but wont eat all of the strawberry pieces or watermelon pieces.

Dooter":xo7uatk7 said:
Yesterday I saw Stella skidding sideways across the tile in the kitchen, chasing down... ???? I have no idea what it was, because she already ate it before I could get over to her.
- this had me literally laugh out loud. Beardies have to be the comedians of the reptile world I swear! I watched my beardie do the "wave" to a cricket! it reminded me of hypnotism..."you do not see a lizard coming to eat you...i am a figment of your imagination hahaha :lol:

morphmom

BD.org Addict
angelpaws":1ya83kbu said:
it reminded me of hypnotism..."you do not see a lizard coming to eat you...i am a figment of your imagination
LOL! :D That may be the best explanation I've ever heard for the arm wave! :lol: Well done! :D

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
You should mix everything together really well, so he can't pick out his favorites. They're just like people...each have different preferences toward different food. I mix in some fruits really well into salad by using a food processor and they seem to like the taste of fruits in the salad. But you can use your bearded's favorite fruits and see how that goes.

Paradon

Sub-Adult Member
No, just quick pulses in the food processor so everything is even mixed and diced into small pieces so he can't pick out his favorite items. :wink:

Mummapinkham

Hatchling Member
Dooter":6vr7wr7u said:
Seriously, its worse than having a baby around. She almost ate one of my 4-yr old daughter's Polly Pocket's shoes one day,
My Harry is the same way. Just like a baby, has to taste everything!! He even has to "taste" my 4 yr old daughter, lol. It is really funny when he is running around gets to her and stops tastes and runs away. Harry loves watermelon, banana, apples, and squash. If it is green he will eat it if I dangle it in front of his mouth for about 10 minutes. He eats it to get me to go away!!! He is VERY spoiled. He also LOVES superworms, but he is only allowed 8 a day and he HAS to eat some GREEN salad first or no worms. He doesn't like that idea but he learned and he listens now. Harry refuses to eat crickets. He watches them like they are amusing, but will not eat them.

Mummapinkham: He even has to "taste" my 4 yr old daughter, lol. It is really funny when he is running around gets to her and stops tastes and runs away.

:lol: haha that's to funny :lol:

angelpaws

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Today my beardie sampled the thermometer probe. It must look something like a cricket..poor thing..you can see the imprint of his teeth on the sticky pad. My silly boy.

Mummapinkham

Hatchling Member
angelpaws":kyfvxlng said:
Today my beardie sampled the thermometer probe. It must look something like a cricket..poor thing..you can see the imprint of his teeth on the sticky pad. My silly boy.
:lol: That is too funny!

proballo

oh my goodness, you let them run around your house? that's awesome but not going to happen here (because of the dogs) I can't wait for our little guy to grow I'm sure my daughter will really enjoy having him lose in her room :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tangel256
Top Bottom