Does "pet friendly hotel" include dragons?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ophiophilist

Hatchling Member
I'm planning a beach vacation and planning to take my dragon with me. (It's four days, three nights, so definitely too long to leave him – and I'm too paranoid to board him.)

I know most "pet friendly" hotels are talking about cats and dogs. There's really no damage Iroh could do to a hotel room as he'll either be in his travel cage or on my shoulder the whole time, and I've never heard of someone being allergic.

I'm frankly considering smuggling him in, but I know it's probably not the best idea...on the other hand, I don't even have any guarantee that even pet friendly hotels will allow a beardie.

What do you think? Ever traveled with a dragon? Did you pick out a pet friendly hotel? Ever smuggle a dragon into a no-pets-allowed hotel?

Either way I don't believe I'll mention the live bugs I'll be bringing with me to feed him. :silent:

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Yep, we went to Myrtle Beach and stayed 4days in a no-pets-allowed condo. So at least we didn't have to worry about maid service, but would have just left the do not disturb sign up anyway. He was easy enough to smuggle in - I put him in his pet carrier, then put that in a bigger tote bag with my jacket tossed on top. I set it down on the floor at check in, and the little booger kept trying to get out so the whole thing was rocking back and forth. It was hysterical! We were eyeballing each other, laughing, and saying 'don't look down, don't look down'.

Anyway, getting his vacation tank (20 gallon) into the place undetected was a slight issue, but we used one of those rolling luggage cart things they supplied and put stuff in and around it, then draped our beach blankets over it.

No one was the wiser and he had a GREAT time exploring new rooms.

I've JUST bought a Reptarium from Big Apple Pet Supply and will use it this weekend. It's much more convenient to travel with, and its 38 gallon.

Let us know how you make out!

SApple

I traveled from east coast to west, then back again this summer with my Larry. We stayed in both pet friendly ( had a cat too going for the first leg) and not pet friendly hotels. It was no problem at all. I was discrete hauling her travel gear in and out. I would recommend putting out the do not disturb sign if staying more than one night. Freaking out the maids is never a good idea. :shock:

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
i moved from up north to down south and had my 2 cockatiels with me, we just asked if we could bring birds into the room. if they said no we left. they lost business. we found one that said yes and we stayed there.

reptiles are not going to destroy the room like cats, dogs, and children.

you can call anonymously and ask about a small animal in a cage. people tend to freak out when they hear lizard or reptile.

otherwise sneak him in.

Coley54

Hatchling Member
HI there! I work in a hotel in Florida. We don't accept pets but like another poster said, you can request no service if it won't bother you to not change your sheets every other day. You can either hang dry and reuse your towel or ask the housekeeper for fresh towels only in exchange for the dirty ones. You can do all this from your doorway and they'll never have to enter the unit. Should you need your A/C looked at or some other maintenance need, stick your beardie in the closet until the repair is done. I think he would be fine. As long as no one sees you bring him in, they'll never know he's there. You would be surprised by some of the things we hear from guests that they've had in their units...the only thing we ever come across smuggled in is a dog and thats because dogs bark. :)

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Jaskotch":3eq1ba9t said:
this is what the "don't ask don't tell" policy is for.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh yeah about the bugs. I just brought a lot of super worms and salad. Didnt want roaches or crickets to tick anybody off.

Here was his set up. Smaller tank, but he wasnt in it 100% of the time. We took him with us a lot.

41899713-F51E-4A39-967B-2959345C93AB-292-0000001D1EABAEBB_zpsb3085d8b.jpg

Ophiophilist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Oh gosh, thank you all so much! At this point I have booked a pet-friendly hotel and will make a discreet and anonymous inquiry about a small pet lizard. If they say yes, then great, if no, then he's going to be sneaked in wrapped in a beach towel or something, LOL!

I'll be sure to put out the "do not disturb" sign either way.

I'm planning on using a very big and deep rubbermaid tub for his travel cage, he can't get out of it and it's deep enough where I can clamp his light to the side. Does that sound like it will work? It's like a bigger version of the tubs breeders set up for babies at reptile shows, it's about the size of/a little bigger than a 20 gallon tall tank. I can pack it full of towels/clothes and nobody will wonder what it is. :lol:

He won't be in there too much of the day, I'll be at the beach so I plan on taking him out and about with me as much as I can. :) I do need to get him a harness, I expect he'll be about 14 inches long and 130ish grams when I go. Are there any harnesses that would fit a beardie about that size?

One other question, I have an adapter where I can plug in small appliances into my car cigarette lighter, would it be safe to have his lamp on in the car during the five-hour drive or would it be better just to give him a heat pack?

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
I wouldn't plug in a light. Are you driving alone? I usually hold one of them wrapped in a blanket.

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
Has he ever been in the car? Or is this his maiden voyage? I'm getting mine used to riding on the dash. Is nice and cozy up there. I put one of those sticky mats down, like for cell phones - and put his blankie on top so he doesn't burn his feet and so it doesn't slide off.

I also line the bottom of the seats with blankets so he can't get under them. I have tons of throw blankets, so I just use them on the floor tucked underneath. The I proofed under the dash to be sure he couldn't climb up into it. So the only place I'd have to worry is by my feet, but at least I can reach him.

I plan on getting a huge stuffy and seat belting it to the passenger seat for him to climb up and look out the window. He loves that.

I don't keep the air vents blowing on him, and if he feels VERY cold, I'd prolly stick him down my shirt. But honestly, on only a five hour ride? He'd prolly be fine. But where are you? What will temps be?

And I have his carrier within reach for any stops, or if he's looking for nite nite. Last time, he ran right into it and snuggled down on the fleece with his head buried in the corner.

Easiest travel companion EVER.

Ophiophilist

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I am in NC and it will be at least in the 70s, possibly low 80s. I would rather not leave him loose since he's still a little guy and I will be alone - I imagine a nightmare where he runs off the dash and I end up having an accident on I-95 trying to catch him. Maybe when he's grown, though. :) This is his second car trip, but I should probably take him out for a ride before and see how he does. Thanks for the help!

BrendaKay

Juvie Member
I'm in nc too! Hi neighbor! Lol

I didn't realize yours was still a little guy. Mine is 19 months old and starting to get lazy. Last winter I put a heating pad with a fleece cover on it, under a few towels, wrapped up Zilla in his fleece and kept his digital probe thermometer near him. But it was night so he slept. And that was all stuffed into his carrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mysticsalten
Top Bottom