does anyone know of a good substrate for a bearded dragon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ckdune25

i just want to know b/c my mom thinks that orange calcium sand stuff is safe please give me some good advice and don't harp on me b/c i told my mom she was wrong and she won't listen to reason

Buddysfam

The best and easiest to clean is reptile carpet or tile. Either one you can remove easily and wash well. Sand is not only really gross, it's bad for beardies, it can impact them and make them really sick. You can also never get sand clean.

SkeptiBee

Hatchling Member
You can also use non adhesive shelf liner.

Tell your mom that there are health risks involved with calcium sand. As the above poster said, it harbors bacteria more than using the tiled surfaces, plus, it can cause impaction. Some beardies will ingest the sand and if it builds up in the animals stomach or intestines, it can kill the reptile. Have her look at this thread here: viewtopic.php?f=34&t=132151

Not only that, try and use the argument of cost. You will need to add to or clean out the tank periodically and refill the sand. This is an expense that can be cut by just using tile that lasts forever (unless you drop and break it) or the shelf liner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom