does anyone have beardies living together besides breeders??

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxngemma

Hi, I just got 2 sisters from a breeder who assured me that they would live together just fine. Does anyone have beardies living together? I'm hearing that I need to watch them closely? Anyone has experience with this?

junebug82

Hatchling Member
From everything I have heard..it's not a good idea to keep two together...but I do know there are people that do.

LJean

Extreme Poster
I've seen a few times on these boards that someone will bring home two dragons that have already been living together but have problems with them in the new home. I always wondered if the change is what causes it. It is a good idea to keep an eye on their behavior towards each other. (doesn't mean it will happen, just a precaution) ;)

I don't have my beardies living together, but some here do, I am sure. Hopefully they will see your post and be able to give you pointers. (having multiple basking spots, I have heard, is a good idea)

maxngemma

Original Poster
Thank u for the feed back. I also hope to hear from the people who have this set up.I will closely monitor them.they have a large branch to bask, now is good, def will have to add another as they grow.

snowdragon

Hatchling Member
I have heard many times that its not a good idea, but I do have two brothers that live together and I have not had any problems with them YET. They have been together for about 5 mths now.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Hey There,
I am a breeder and Everyone of My adults are seperate.
I start seperateing them as young as 4 weeks depending on the indiviuals personality.

beardie parents

BD.org Sicko
About 5 years ago we were given two female beardies. They had been together for a long time and were housed together. They were best friends and they also talked to each other a lot. I've never seen that since. I think that whether they can be housed together without problems depends on the personality of the dragons. The two we have now aren't housed in the same viv. I don't believe a 40 breeder tank has enough room for two, for one. For another thing, these two are fine being outside or in the house together but with Goldie trying to sit on top of Rosie I wouldn't house these two together. I wouldn't know what Goldie would do if she was suddenly forced to share her viv with her sister. I miss the "best friend" beardies we had. They were soo much fun.

I have only ever knownbeardies live in social groups unti l I came on here, I have two living together and they've only been together about a month, but they couldn't be seperated now. I gotthe second because I had such a hard time from people as beardies can be really social animals and mine seemed really depressed alone. She's perked up alot now, had got a lot lighter in colour (due to less stress I am sure) and has really brightened up, in colour and personality. I was always taught at college and uni that housing females together is generally a must, but if you keep a male and female the female gets too much unwanted attention and so you must keep a second female. Obviously this depends largely on the personality.
My Marley is alot more active and healthy since Poppy has been introduced, and is alot more pleasant to handle.
I hope this helps. they're in a 4' vivarium if that helps as well.

citrusdragon

Sub-Adult Member
Some thrive with cagemates, and actually freak out a bit when separated. The competition for food while living together can encourage eating and fast growth, but when one dragon is much more dominant the situation can become bad. I will say that even co-habitating females display aggression from time to time.
While I never encourage the practice (I don't want to sell 2 dragons to someone only to be flamed on the forums), it is more common than most on this forum would know.

It really depends on the temperament of the individual dragons, which is impossible to foresee.

Jeff

sjsexotics

Hatchling Member
I have always had my female adults together they bask together eat together and in the 10 years I have had dragons I have never had a problem with girls together as long as they are adults and are females I would never ever put to males together. I believe as long as they are well cared for and well feed then there is no need to compete for food and I think they do enjoy each others company. this is just imo and from what I have observed :study:

Jeff is right, I think it really depends on the temperament of the dragon. there are dragon that you can cohabitate but there are also ones that you can't, by putting two dragons together no matter what their genders are is a big risk because you will never know what can happen.

Freeie

Extreme Poster
I tried to keep Roo and Lexia my two female sisters together some what outside of the viv they had their own vivs. I bathed them together and let them stay out together intill Roo started showing agression twords Lexia they were about 8 weeks when i decided not to risk them together at all. We tried again 4 months later Lexia is very agressive. She cant be trusted near any beardie. I think as long as both females are of the same size and you watch for any agression at all. They might be fine. Just NEVER ever keep males together once their hormons kick in you will have major issues. Good luck with your babys i hope everything works out for you :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom