Do you guys just throw away dubias?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibotu

When cleaning the bin, do you just get the ones that are easy to get and leave the time consuming ones left behind?

Most of the time when i'm cleaning my bin, i get as much as i can get from the bin and just wash away whatever's left in the bin. All those babies mixed in with their poops are just too time consuming to pick each one up.

Carnivorouszoo

Sub-Adult Member
I'm a stickler for not wasting so I get every one. Even go after any that jump to the floor. Maybe I'm a bit ocd about it lol!

Gail

BD.org Addict
Never throw the babies away, dump the poo and babies into a spare tub and wait for them to climb back on a egg crate so you can shake them back into the colony. Or you can use some kind a colander to sift out the poo.

Jess

Extreme Poster
I don't throw them away either, I would feel really bad! LOL. Plus, I need the babies for my gecko.

12many

ha.. i feel bad too but its justo time consuming. Every semester my classes becomes harder and more time consuming thay i barely have time to handle or feed my gecko and bd. I try hard to make sure they're fed and all, but some days they go a day or two from not being fed. Good thing the light schedule has remained the same. Some days, i dont even come home and asking my sis to feed them is out of the question because the sight of roaches make em shreek.

i feel sorry for these guys and sometimes contemplate of giving them away to someone who can take care of them better than i can. But the thought of them leaving sucks cuz i cared for them a lot and spent a whole time catering to their needs, even buying and caring for roaches.

haha got off topic. Anyways, i will try that tub idea. Thx.

BeardedAaliyah

Hatchling Member
12many":ohrshdjz said:
ha.. i feel bad too but its justo time consuming. Every semester my classes becomes harder and more time consuming thay i barely have time to handle or feed my gecko and bd. I try hard to make sure they're fed and all, but some days they go a day or two from not being fed. Good thing the light schedule has remained the same. Some days, i dont even come home and asking my sis to feed them is out of the question because the sight of roaches make em shreek.

i feel sorry for these guys and sometimes contemplate of giving them away to someone who can take care of them better than i can. But the thought of them leaving sucks cuz i cared for them a lot and spent a whole time catering to their needs, even buying and caring for roaches.

haha got off topic. Anyways, i will try that tub idea. Thx.

If you can spend the time to take care of them, keep them, if not, keep them until you find a really good home for them. I totally understand, my baby Beardie is fed twice a day, which limits where we go sometimes. It's almost like having a child. :) I understand not wanting to give them away, but if you have no time for their needs, I would suggest looking for another home. No need for you to be stressed up the wazoo about your pets. If you're iffy about it, try finding a home, and if nothing comes up, keep em for now. :)

Captian

What I do is clean out all the easy ones then dump the rest (poo, leftover food) in a plastic shoe box, put in a small bowl of water crystals, a t.p. roll and let that sit until the next time I clean out the big bin. By that time the roaches are big enough that I can just toss them with the t.p. rolls in the big bin with the others dump food and poo in the trash and start over. I used to pick out all the little ones and then I used the colander. Both ways took way to much time for me. I'm lazy just like my Captian. :p

ButterflyGirl89

Hatchling Member
Gail":3gl58ezk said:
Never throw the babies away, dump the poo and babies into a spare tub and wait for them to climb back on a egg crate so you can shake them back into the colony.

Sounds like a great and super easy trick to me! ^_^

DNADragons

Hatchling Member
Whatever you do, take the necessary precautions to keep exotic roaches out of the landfills. Freeze, flush, or sort them out of waste.

kjinxx2

Sub-Adult Member
DNADragons":3mstj1yu said:
Whatever you do, take the necessary precautions to keep exotic roaches out of the landfills. Freeze, flush, or sort them out of waste.

This. We don't need laws all over the U.S. banning these insects!

zooeymama

Hatchling Member
Although it drove me bat crazy- and I mostly have baby dubias- I picked each one out. I won't say how long that took but it was annoying as heck. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mysticsalten
Top Bottom