Do you believe Beardies get emotionally attached?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardielove10

Hatchling Member
I was at my vets office a while ago and his comment to me still sticks with me to this day because I COMPLETELY disagree with it. My two beardies were cuddling with me on my neck/chest because they were upset from the vet. He turned to me and said "You know, they are just using you for your warmth, they don't actually have any emotions or feelings, right?" I was so taken back!! :evil: But on his behalf, I know that science is what he is basing it off of. I personally think that my beardies actually love me and know I am their protector and mom. I believe they do get emotionally attached to me, recognize me, and show they love me. Also, I do think they have emotions in general just like any other living thing. Just like a child would.

What are your thoughts? Any examples on why you feel the way you do? I'm just curious to hear everyone's take and stories! :) People that don't know dragons constantly ask me if they are even personable or loving so I am curious what the rest of you think!

Thanks! :mrgreen:

Gail

BD.org Addict
I don't think they get emotionally attached or feel emotions like humans do. They simply don't have the developed brains to have feelings like that, reptiles run on instincts.

I do believe they get used to and comfortable with their human caretakers. They learn we feed them and keep them safe so they accept our presence.

beardielove10

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well if they only think of us as protectors and feeders, do you think they genuinely enjoy being with us?

Gail

BD.org Addict
No, I don't think they enjoy being with use. Its more that they feel safe with a trusted caretaker.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree with Gail.

I don't think they get emotionally attached. They more so become trusting and comfortable around humans after being exposed to a positive relationship.

-Brandon

ChiefsDaddy

Gray-bearded Member
Agreed with all of the above. Scientifically speaking, they're just not capable of feeling emotions or developing relationships very well. To them, we are just a giant heating pad that keeps them safe and warm and feeds them. I would say they tolerate us, at best.

But it is still fun to think they love us. Sometimes, basic animal instincts and reactions may seem like emotional reactions, because as humans and mammals, we tend to expect that from others. And there's nothing wrong with that. I think it serves its purpose in creating a stronger bond between the keeper and his/her beardie.

popsickle18

Juvie Member
I don't think they have a huge emotional bond, but I do believe they can feel the love and affection from their owners. Bearded dragons don't seem to have a huge range of emotions. They eat, sleep, get grumpy and snuggle! I had my first bearded dragon for 10.5 years and I got him when I was 11 years old. Let me tell you, I took him everywhere! I loved him every day of his life. He would always go right next to me or on top of me to snuggle and would stay with me for hours and hardly move. He seemed very content resting with his Mommy :D

The day he passed away was very sad. I knew he was going... I just held him close and his breathing got less and less. I told him how much I loved him and placed him back in his cage in the warm sand. Soon enough he was gone. :cry: He passed peacefully. I miss his little kisses and snuggles. I do believe he knew who I was and how much I loved him.

Like other people said above me, we are their providers and protectors. They do know this! Some dragons seem to care about that more than others. Some seem to do their own thing and be rather independent. Others find a lot of peace hanging around and snuggling with their Mommys and Daddys :D

bunnyrut

Gray-bearded Member
i don't know.
i can't agree that something can't feel emotions when that something holds a grudge against me all day for giving him medicine.

i do feel like they bond with certain people. and Dargon has acted depressed when i left for 10 days. he hardly ate and just laid there, but when i came home he perked up and ate again.
the only other time i saw that happen was when my dad was in rehab for 3 months and our dog got depressed. she barely ate and laid by the door all the time. as soon as he walked in the door she started eating again.

Tasty Treat will 'love' anyone who feeds her.

Gail

BD.org Addict
bunnyrut":19ilryvk said:
i don't know.
i can't agree that something can't feel emotions when that something holds a grudge against me all day for giving him medicine.

Its not a grudge, its fear and loss of trust.

ILoveLemmonade

Hatchling Member
Gail":362fev5p said:
bunnyrut":362fev5p said:
i don't know.

Its not a grudge, its fear and loss of trust.

Isn't that an emotion? Emotion - a natural instinctive state of mind deriving from one's circumstances, mood, or relationships with others. Beardies are instinctive creatures, emotion is an instinct, beardies are emotional creatures... I realize their brains are not developed to process these instincts the same way that we do. Their emotions are not like ours, but they do develop relationships and have moods. Textbook definition of emotion.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If you want to get all technical sure, but I don't think that was what the OP was really asking.

-Brandon

CountofCasualty

Gray-bearded Member
I disagree, when I had Baron I think he was very attached to me. We always go on about how all Dragons are different-they all have different personalities and things that make them who they are. Cho doesn't enjoy cuddling as much, he's an explorer. If any dragon thinks of their owner as a food machine, it's him. But Baron always wanted out, he was very much a dragon that wanted to spend time with me, and not because I was the food machine or warmth creator. I honestly think he enjoyed my presence and enjoyed being around me. Cho'Gath could care less right now. He's got a basking spot, food, bathes and a stuffed animal to cuddle with.

Yes, of course it breaks down to trust, but that's the way it is with everyone, human, dog, cat or beardie. Hell even fish. If something scares me or hurts me, I'm not going to run to a stranger-I'll run to my parents or boyfriend. The same is with our dragons, or any pet really. But they understand pain, fear, joy, comfort, they have favorite spots to sit on and foods they prefer. So I do think they understand love and attachment-if they can be attached to a log or basking spot or have a favorite anything, I think they can have favorite people or be attached to certain people as well.

But I'm also a sap so.

aegillesp

Hatchling Member
I'm not sure how I feel about Simon having emotions but I can tell you I feel like it's more than just a warm place and a hand that feeds with him. When I hold him he's usually calm and snuggles into my neck (which yes is warm), but he'll lay there for hours. When he goes outside with me he'll panic but yet calm down when I hold him, he allows me to give him gental hugs and actually lets me hold him in a way that doesn't make sense when I read that they don't like being confined. The way I sometimes hold him is a confining hold, but he enjoys it, surprisingly. When my boyfriend holds Simon, he tries to run, he squirms, and doesn't want to be held. Also, the way I rub his face he seems to not mind, but when my boyfriend tries to go at his face he backs away, he doesn't really like to be touched by him...

zandi202

BD.org Addict
Personally, for me, trust is a type of love because you can never love a person without trust... Or, at least you shoulddn't :lol:

And who are we to say that beardies, or any animal for that matter, can't show love and only uses us? Until my beardies tells me how they feel about me, I'll never know. It could be love or it could be "putting up with me."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lunalane827
Top Bottom