Do they Store food in throat??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GizmosGrammie

Hatchling Member
Do beardies store food in their throats short term?? I just hand fed my Gizmo about 6-7 super worms & I swear it looks like she was saving them in her throat & then slowly swallowing them. Do they do that? This is the first time I've seen her do this. Her throat was firm & she'd swallow periodically afterwards. It has returned to normal in less than 2 minutes. It just really looked like she gobbled them up & then slowly swallowed them. Just a curious observation.
80462-3626029003.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Darwin does that too. I'm thinking it's because he gets excited and eats more than he can handle at once. I try to break his feeding down into smaller bits over a longer period of time and watch him closely to make sure he swallows it all after a little bit. It can become dangerous if they store food in their beards long term or if food gets stuck there. In the short term it isn't a big deal though.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Darwin got a load of dubias this morning and did it again. He swallowed them within 10 minutes but I definitely took my time and spaced out each bug until he was ready and actively looking for another one. A week or so ago he kept burping and licking after his meal. After about an hour I found it unusual so gave his beard a good rub and he finally burped up a half chewed dubia that was caught in his beard. Something to keep in mind and look out for. Don't want those getting caught and sitting there for very long.

GizmosGrammie

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
OMGoodness, thanks for the heads up. Gizmo did it again this morning too w/just 5 super worms so I watched her & rubbed her throat to make sure it was back to normal b4 I left for work,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J.sobrero
Top Bottom